Old 11-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
pregodego2
Casting On

about to give up
i have been practicing every day for a week and no matter what im doing - casting on, knitting or purling - my rows come out uneven and twisted. as im knitting the rows, they just twist all around and i can't seem to get control of any of it, some stitches are too tight, some too loose..it just always looks a mess. i can't even get an easy begining project passed the 2nd row cause it looks horrible and but the time the second row is done, it isn't even workable anymore and i have to undo the whole thing. im tired, my head hurts and im just feeling really defeated already.

Lilypie Expecting a baby PicLilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

knitter in training!
pregodego2 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Ginnyb
Knitting the Flap

Awwwwww, I'm sorry. I haven't been knitting long myself. Is there anyone you know who knits who can sit with you? It is hard to tell what you may be doing wrong, and I am by no means an expert, but there are a lot of experts on here who may be able to help you. Don't give up, please!!! Have you watched any of the videos available on this site? They are extremely helpful..

Ginny
Ginnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I hope you can take heart in the fact that we have all been there at the beginning and that if you stick with it there will be a lightbulb moment where it seems to click for you.
I started with a basic Red Heart acrylic yarn. (dirt cheap) and probably about size 8 needles and just cast on and knit and knit and knit. Rip out and start again until I didn't feel like setting the yarn on fire and storming out of the house and screaming.
Hang in there we're all rooting for you.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

I don't know any knitters who were perfect from the start. Work looks rough, has funky edges, uneven tension and the whole nine yards (okay, more like 90 yards.) It just happens, and it evens out with time and practice. Oh...and laundry. Running stuff through the laundry shakes out a whole, whole lot of uneven tension and so forth.

Why don't you make something felted? If you can get it more or less the right shape, nobody's going to see detail after you roast it in the washer for a while :D Been there, done every bit of that, not gonna quit knitting!
Old 11-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
boo1
Turning the Heel

Don't give up!
you have to practice to get the tension right.

i've improved mine tremendously in the past few weeks but i still sometimes get too critical of my work.

be patient with yourself. if i haven't thrown in the towel yet, you shouldn't either!

boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Don't give up quite yet. Try finding a Michael's in your area and having a class or two. Honestly it IS worth the money. Pregodego, imagine how you are going to feel when you produce something knitted for your own baby? YOU CAN DO THIS!!! IT IS WORTH THE TIME AND MONEY! If I can do it, anyone can.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Aww, please don't give up. I bet it's not nearly as bad as you think! The first two rows of any project always seem a bit messy, but as you get further into it, it all evens out a bit and gets easier to control. Maybe you should try different yarn and/or different needles? Some yarn and needles are harder to deal with than others.

Besides checking out the videos on this site, check out the "knitters knear you" forum and find a nice knitter knear you, I'm sure there is someone willing to get together with you and help you out!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J

Everyone else has given great advice, but I'll add my two cents.

Be sure you're holding the yarn so that you don't have to pick it up every time you knit a new stitch. Thread it through your fingers like in the videos. It really DOES make a difference!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
lostchyld
Ribbing the Cuff

*sings* Just keep knitting, just keep knitting... *sings*

When I was just starting, I knit the entire back and front panels of a sweater, realized every single stitch was both twisted and a different tension, ripped the whole thing out and started over. After that, it got a lot better. By the time I was done with the front of the sweater again, I understood the mechanics of the stitch and everything else just fell into place.

I've always found that the first five or so rows of a project are the hardest because until then, the rows like to wrap around the needle and it's harder to get a good grip on the project itself. Persistence is usually the key. Work slowly for the first few rows and watch how the stitches are interacting with each other. Try a different cast-on if what you're using isn't working for you. You could even try switching needles. I've got needle sizes that I can't stand working with and shifting either up or down a size sometimes helps, especially if you're working a project that doesn't need you to meet a specific gauge. I think the hardest thing to remember is to take your time. You don't have to get it right away.

Please don't give up. It's really a fun activity once you get the hang of it.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
knitgal
Working the Gusset

What a horrible feeling, but like everyone else said, don't give up! Even people who have been knitting for a while feel frustrated and upset sometimes. You just have to be patient. My first project was a dishcloth. I think this a great first project because it's smaller than a scarf and if you screw it up, you can still use it. I've actually learned a LOT of stitches by knitting dishcloths.
Just know that we're all here for you and someone will be able to answer any questions you may have.
Also, I think the others were right, the first two rows of anything never looks good. Knit a few more rows and see how it turns out.
Good luck and happy knitting!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote