Old 11-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
gengen
Casting On

question about converting knitting in the round to straight needles
Is there a trick to converting pattern directions from circular needles to regular straight needles? I have trouble with the circular needles; they get all twisted. Help!
gengen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
If your circular needles are curling, try dipping the cord in boiling water and then hold them straight--a world of difference.

If you really want to convert a circular pattern to straight, you have to read the wrong-side rows backwards and reverse the stitches from knit to purl and vice versa.

You also should add a stitch to each edge that would be seamed to allow for that.

Circular knitting is so easy--I think you should give it another shot!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
gengen (11-19-2007), haleysmommy (11-20-2007), inkaholic (11-19-2007)
Old 11-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I agree with Ingrid. Circular knitting may seem hard, and it's funny to get used to, but it's really easy. It's a lot easier than trying to convert your pattern too!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
gengen (11-19-2007)
Old 11-17-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
doreen116
Casting On

I agree about giving the circulars another chance. I'm making a yoga mat bag for a friend of mine and I wish I had smaller circulars to work with instead of the double pointeds I'm using!

Just this week I was watching an episode of Knitting Gritty on the DIY network and there was a suggestion about working the twists out of your circular needles: Cast on and work a row or two on straight needles, then switch to your circs and join. Making the first rows on straights will eliminate the twisting problems when you switch needles.

Hope that helps!!
doreen116 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doreen116 For This Useful Post:
boo1 (11-19-2007), gengen (11-19-2007), haleysmommy (11-20-2007)
Old 11-19-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
gengen
Casting On

Thanks, I will try the circulars again (after dipping them in boiling water!)
gengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
inkaholic
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow, I'm going to have to try that (knitting the first few rows on straights) because my knitting gets very twisted and I end up giving up. THANK YOU!
inkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
OldSoul
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to OldSoul
Addi needles
Hi
I love circular knitting and love it more since I started using the Addi needles. The cable doesn't twist and they make knitting even more of a pleasure. They are a little pricey, but I've seen some good buys on Ebay.
OldSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
wordfeeder
Casting On

Another question about knitting in the round
Thanks to all who have posted advice/encouragement about knitting with circular needles.

I tried for the first time (still a relatively new knitter) and I have the same problem as with straight needles. I can't seem to figure out how to keep the ends tight and neat. Why is this?!

I thought that my stockinette stitch was coming along nicely with the double circular needles method. Then I looked at the ends and there were TWO places were I had big gaps. Then I dropped a stitch right in the gap area and it was all over.

Any tips for making the ends tighter and neater, for both circular AND regular needles?

Thanks
wordfeeder is offline   Reply With Quote