Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:54 AM   #111
BostonBecca
Turning the Heel

If you are on ravelry, come join us in Greenies 2008, a Buy-A-Long for 2008 for people who are committed to doing just what you quoted above and what you are already doing. I am so glad that you are doing this as well. We are up to 80+ knitters/crocheters on ravelry.

KnittingDefender on Ravelry.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #112
Dreaming Knitter
Casting On

Originally Posted by BostonBecca View Post
If you are on ravelry, come join us in Greenies 2008, a Buy-A-Long for 2008 for people who are committed to doing just what you quoted above and what you are already doing. I am so glad that you are doing this as well. We are up to 80+ knitters/crocheters on ravelry.
Thanks, but I'm still waiting for my Ravelry invitation... when I do get it, I'll check out the group...
Old 12-14-2007, 02:23 AM   #113
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Debkcs View Post
I really love the log cabin pattern. It's changed a lot of my yarns from 'stash' to now usable. The Mason Dixon Knitting book is just full of ideas for projects like that.

My stash is going to grow, I found out. My friend is sending me her Mother's yarns. Her Mom died a few months ago, and she wants the yarn to go to someone who knew her. Since she had great taste in everything, I'm looking forward to getting them.If I can, the yarn will go towards a blanket or something that I can send back to the family.
Hi Deb! What a WONDERFUL thought! Knitting something from her Mom's yarn, and send it to the family! That is such a loving idea! When you get the yarn, let us know what and how much. Maybe we can pool our collective creative juices and come up with something to help you decide!

If you made a log cabin, you could also crosstitch (with yarn) something like this:
"In Memory of Jeanne Smith, Beloved Mother of Jan, John and Jack."

Artlady at Rav
Old 12-14-2007, 05:18 PM   #114
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Holy cow, it's not even 2008 yet and there are already 12 pages on this thread!

Count me in! Artlady, I LOVE your index card idea!! I usually only buy yarn when I have a plan for it, but at this point I have a list of plans that is longer than my life span... and I have a tendency to forget what my plan was for each yarn! I'm definitely going to steal that idea!

My goal is to actually knit up the projects I have already purchased yarn for. I have so many things I want to knit, and the list just keeps on growing. That's fine, but I need to stop buying yarn *now* for a project I know I won't get to till my children are grown!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Old 12-14-2007, 05:27 PM   #115
goysu
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to goysu
I got in! Then I put in my stash and OMG!!! I had NO IDEA my stash was like it was. I thought I had plans for the yarn I had, but I have no plans for any of it! Now I'm glad I joined the Stash Train!

Last edited by goysu : 12-15-2007 at 03:15 PM. Reason: change in Ravelry status
Old 12-15-2007, 08:45 AM   #116
knitncook
Working the Gusset

I'm currently busting some of my stash using it to make a "Molly Weasley Scarf" It's just a moss stitch scarf in bulky yarn left over from this summer when I made everyone "Animal Cracker Hats" from Charmed Knits. Even though I made 3 hats, I still ended up with a bunch of yarn leftover. So I'm knitting it up as a long scarf in the leftover black, green and pink. After I finish this I'll still have white and green (the second green color) left to knit with and am thinking of some sort of scarf with a colored cable running down the center or maybe a pair of quick mittens with one of the kids' initials on it. I figure it is the sort of thing that Molly would do with her yarn. Sit and knit it up something so it isn't collecting nargles or so the garden gnomes don't try to run off with it. Molly has a stash, but it is a rotating stash that eventually gets used and replenished.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
Old 12-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #117
Dreaming Knitter
Casting On

In 2008, this is how i'll use my stash:

I'll knit scarves with my current elann.com stash and my coming-soon tencel stash. Mostly for my SO, dearest friends and family.

Then I'll also knit squares for charity. I've signed up for the Shandeh's KAL "Many Colors Charity Afghan Square", and will use up my acrylic and mercerized cotton yarns.

Actually I'm kinda jump-starting it already since I'm already doing 2 scarves with my elann stash. I'm still choosing the pattern for my first square before starting it.

Maybe the afghan square can serve to officially usher in the 2008 year of the stash, for me, since it's a totally new endeavour for me, in terms of being part of a KAL here. So that one gets started sometime January...

I'm DreamingKnitter at Ravelry.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:18 PM   #118
robynbird
Turning the Heel

I've made several hats from stash yarn lately but must admit to buying other yarn. :( Oh well. I do have at least 3 afghans that must be made for my 2 nieces and 1 nephew graduating high school in the spring so I will use mostly stash yarn for those.

Mom to Missy & Zach & Baby Girl due in December
Wife to Gene

Old 12-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #119
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
it gets worse for me....

Joann's sent out a coupon madness e-mail with FIFTY PERCENT OFF coupons in it!!!!!!

so yeah, i'm going yarn shopping later this week (they're good from the 21st to the 24th).

I do have projects in mind though that i need to get yarn and some needles for so it's NOT THAT bad... tonight i'm printing up the patterns i have in mind for people and putting it in the gallon size bags with the yarn for that project.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #120
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Abbily View Post
Holy cow, it's not even 2008 yet and there are already 12 pages on this thread!

Count me in! Artlady, I LOVE your index card idea!! I usually only buy yarn when I have a plan for it, but at this point I have a list of plans that is longer than my life span... and I have a tendency to forget what my plan was for each yarn! I'm definitely going to steal that idea!

My goal is to actually knit up the projects I have already purchased yarn for. I have so many things I want to knit, and the list just keeps on growing. That's fine, but I need to stop buying yarn *now* for a project I know I won't get to till my children are grown!
Hi Carey! Welcome! Glad you like the index card idea! It was my lightbulb moment for 2007! Wish I had thought of it sooner! Woulda saved me hours and hours and hours of rummaging through books, leaflets and magzines, and piles and piles of stash...only to come up empty-handed for a project pairing! Isn't that frustrating?

I find that organizing my stash, and hauling it out to look at and feel...helps me stay focused on the lovely yarn that is now languishing in Yarn Jail!

Glad to have your support on the 2008 Stash Train this coming year!

All Stashies! Thanks for your support on our 2008 Mission! FREE OUR STASH FROM YARN JAIL!

Artlady at Rav
Closed Thread