Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

I'm buying my ticket to the stash train! My stash isn't that large because I only just got back into knitting in the last year. That being said, I want to use this as motivation to actually knit something with the yarn I've bought. This is the perfect way...
EEK... now I have to go actually inventory my stash... Then I can set my realistic goal..

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #12
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Here is my stash problem. I have very little yarn that *I* have bought that I don't have a project for. My stash problem is yarn that my mother gave me that is very nice yarn, but may only have a ball or two or one skein, or 3 partial balls (of the same yarn - I've yet to figure that out) that I have nothing to do with. It's all very nice expensive yarn, but what do I do with it? I've looked at several of the "one yarn pattern books" and quite frankly, very little speaks to me. I don't need a matching set of cup cozies (or a tea cozy or a sweater for the dog I don't have) and there are only so many hats I can wear. I've thought about doing some charity knitting, but most of the yarn is inappropriate for the baby items and maybe too scratchy for the chemo caps. (sigh) So most of it just sits unused waiting for Some Project. Why can't I just get rid of it? :D

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
Old 11-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #13
alleusion
Turning the Heel

I'd like to book passage on the Stash Train!

My first goal is to get my stash out of lock up...aka out of storage in San Diego. I'm hoping this goal can be accomplished between Feb-May. It requires me flying from Canada to California though, so I need to work on bail for my poor yarn stash first.

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

Old 11-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #14
GinnyG
Instepping Out

You mean you are supposed to USE your stash?????? I thought it was just supposed to be aquired and admired!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to GinnyG For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (11-20-2007)
Old 11-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #15
Samsam
Knitting the Flap

I want to join this! I've been thinking about it today.. I think I will create a tally system. Say I stash bust a hat and some dishcloths, that will equal me being able to buy yarn for a bigger project like a tank or shell. I usually buy one skein of something for no attended purpose at all..this will help be cut on that!
Old 11-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #16
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by msmelody View Post
I am in. I have yarn on the way, and need to buy yarn for my DH's scarf and then I need to get rid of most of my stash. All of my yarn have projects in mind, but just need the energy to get them done.
Hi'ya msmelody!

I know what you mean by 'energy'. Sometimes that just means 'motivation'. Here is what I did last year, to help me focus on my 'list' of projects.

1) write up a batch of yarn on a 3x5 card, let's say PINK card
2) write up an appropriate pattern for it on another 3x5 card, let's say a BLUE card
3) paperclip them together
4) put them in a recipe file box under the month that you think you want to knit the project

The reason the pattern and the yarn are on separate cards is this: They are only "engaged to be married". By being on separate cards, you can separate them and re-match them with someone else if you change your mind about the match.

I actually made up about a dozen pattern cards, and a couple dozen stash yarn cards...and then "engaged" them once I could see who was available, and who seemed to be a good match!

I still use this system. I just file them in order of importance to me. Like, what I feel like doing the most if first in line.

NOTE: the yarn cards give all the pertinent info about the yarn...color, fiber, gauge etc. The pattern cards say what book and page; the gauge needed, the yardage needed, the recommended yarn type, etc.

I have lots of un-engaged yarn cards and pattern cards...but I am always on the lookout for a match for them!

This system helped me get excited about knitting from stash!

Artlady at Rav
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Dreaming Knitter (12-13-2007), lelvsdgs (12-03-2007), mamahoov (11-24-2007), princessbonniejane (08-05-2008)
Old 11-21-2007, 06:11 PM   #17
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi y'all!

Oh my oh my! As I count it up...we have ab out 15 Stashies on board! Welcome to all! Happiness loves company, right?

Beckyrae! I know what you mean about the Ravelry Stash folder! It is a great tool, isn't it? Also kind of an embarrassing EXPOSE about my yarnoholic tendencies! Oh well, I figure other knitters couldn't care less! We all have our own yarn-in-the-closet-secrets!

JamoKnit! Yeah, that is my goal, too: adding photos of all my Stash Yarns to my Ravelry Stash file. I also like the Queue thing, too, don't you?

Hi Lee (lelvsdgs)! I added you to MY FRIENDS over at the Ravelry Ranch! Welcome to the Stash Train! Hugs!

Hi Michelle (KnitnCook)! I added you to MY FRIENDS over at Ravelry, too! I know how you feel about the one skein wonders. They don't usually speak to me either. For you, it must be particularly frustrating because these inherited yarns are expensive yarns...just not enough! How about this: start a log cabin afghan!
It is just the right concept! This log cabin idea is featured in the Mason-Dixon book! It is on sale at Amazon. Wonderful book. Worth every penny. click here
Here is a photo of it:

Hi alleusion! Baking a baby, eh!!? Congrats! And welcome to the Stash Train! There are so many quick cute baby items in the Mason Dixon book. Things that take very little yarn. Visit the Amazon link. A lot of customers posted their knitted items from the Mason Dixon patterns! I love the bibs! Ya can't have enough bibs for teething time. (droooolin' bibs!)

Hi Samantha (SamSam)! I added you to MY FRIENDS over at Ravelry! I want to come visit you in LaLaland someday! Sounds like fun! And lots of knitters to keep us company! Tee Hee!

Hi GinnyG! Yeah, I heard that rumor, too! We s'pose to knit the yarn! Welcome! Sounds like you're on board!

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-21-2007, 10:29 PM   #18
Firey Vixxen
1st Leg of the Journey

Alien Invation... No, just my UFO's
Hey all,
I think I might join this one (I found KH in Oct, so I missed the first round). My mom thinks my stash is too big (Her actual words were "How much more of this knitting carp do you have?") please, I have two 50L boxes and a couple of bags (some of which have gone walkabout. here knitting, knitting, knitting *whistles*) Anyway, to make her happy I'm going to destash. and to start off I'm going to kill some spaceships. boom!
one question. If you have some yarn for a project, but need a contrast colour to compleat the project, does it count as destashing or restashing?
FV
Old 11-22-2007, 02:32 AM   #19
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Firey Vixxen View Post
Hey all,
I think I might join this one (I found KH in Oct, so I missed the first round). My mom thinks my stash is too big (Her actual words were "How much more of this knitting carp do you have?") please, I have two 50L boxes and a couple of bags (some of which have gone walkabout. here knitting, knitting, knitting *whistles*) Anyway, to make her happy I'm going to destash. and to start off I'm going to kill some spaceships. boom!
one question. If you have some yarn for a project, but need a contrast colour to compleat the project, does it count as destashing or restashing?
FV
Hello little Vixxen! Glad to have you with us!!!
As to your question about the contrasting yarn needed to complete a stash project: It counts as destashing, or restashing, based on what you decide! I think it is GREAT when anyone uses up some stash! If you need contrasting yarn to finish the project properly, I think you should certainly do it, and pat yourself on the back!

Hugs from us all!

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-22-2007, 04:03 AM   #20
Debbie
Working the Gusset

Count me in!
My first goal is to either finish or frog some ufo's ... to make a list on Ravelry and finish or restash one before starting a new project. I am going to organize my stash on Ravelry. I will play match maker and make sure that at I have at least 5 yarns and patterns engaged by January 15th.

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Closed Thread