Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:11 AM   #501
Firey Vixxen
1st Leg of the Journey

Wow Artlady.
Wow.

And a Kitchen fire. How'd you do that? (And if you say you left a pan of hot oil on the stove I will have to smack your hands).
With the buttons, I was going to say brass, but with a young kid that may not be smart, but then I thought of novelty buttons. You know, shaped like bows, or ladybirds, or dogs (Or trains or firetrucks-Goes well with the red and the boy theme)
And Does anyone know a trick to craming more stitches on a needle?
My 10mm's are crammed with 62 stitches and I'm meant to increase to 82. problem is I only have an Inch left of room, and I can't seem to get the stitches to cram any more.
*Sigh* And this project will use up so much stash too

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-28-2008, 03:47 AM   #502
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Firey Vixxen View Post
Does anyone know a trick to cramming more stitches on a needle?
My 10mm's are crammed with 62 stitches and I'm meant to increase to 82. Problem is I only have an inch left of room, and I can't seem to get the stitches to cram any more.
*Sigh* And this project will use up so much stash too
I take it your needles are straight needles? You didn't say, but that is the picture I get. I just dunno how you can cram 20 additional stitches on your needle and still enjoy the knitting. I wish I could be of more help. I don't use straights anymore at all. Circs all the way, whether knitting flat work or knitting in-the-round.

Yes, I had put about 1/4 cup of oil in a stovetop wok...for a stir fry dinner. Doh. Don't ask me what I thought I was doing. I dunno. I guess I forgot I turned the burner on. I went into my office to check email...and next thing I know...my husband is running into my office saying "You set the kitchen on fire!". Anyhoo, it was the area above the stove. The stove knobs all melted, and the doodads I had hanging on the side of the cupboards were on fire. The pan was ablaze. I put the lid on the wok and the pan fire went out. My husband swatted the doodads with towels and they went out.
The cupboards themselves were just blackened and hot. The ceiling was black, etc. A MESS. This is a first for me, and the last!

And to make matters worse, my kitchen is pure white. Can't hide smoke damage a bit!

Artlady at Rav
Old 04-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #503
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

I have to say I really liked your new kitchen!!! It's lovely, looks like a commercial, so clean and everything is just in the right place
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittingNat For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-29-2008)
Old 04-30-2008, 09:11 AM   #504
Firey Vixxen
1st Leg of the Journey

I've just restarted an arm for the cabled baby jumper because I'd done 3 of the same rows. GRR. And I've just realised my deadline to get this jumper AND a matching teddybear is coming up soon (Early/mid May).
So everything else is going to have to go on hold while I get this finished, and It's just not that high on my motivation list.
Artlady, Yes, I'm using straights, but I'm thinking about changing to circulars. It just depends when I get a chance to breathe and get to a LYS. *shakes fist* Damn you, Reality.
FV
Old 05-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #505
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I finished a STASH PROJECT! Whoo Hooo! Posted details and additional photos in Whatcha Knitting, but here is one photo of it.
It is a little blue and white tweed baby boy jacket for the new Varriano baby, due in July! I wish it had used more than 3 of my 10 skeins. Sigh. The contrasting yarn is leftovers from my Central Park Hoodie! So glad I had it. The sweater was looking pretty BLAH til I had my lightbulb moment! I had not done the collar, but had knit the entire hat band (2.5") in the jacket yarn. So, rather than frog...I just re-started the hat, using the contrasting yarn. It worked! It is heavier yarn, so I was unsure if it would work out! IT DID! Won't this little set look good with baby jeans?

Artlady at Rav
Old 05-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #506
ahkatelier
Ribbing the Cuff

OMG! How do you get so much knitted so fast? That baby set is adorable. Sorry to hear about your kitchen.

Stash knitting is not going fast, since I am fixating on socks right now. I did start two pairs of socks from stash yarn. One I designed for The Socktopia theme 'April Showers'. Unfortunately I did not finish them in time. I am just turning the heels.
The other pair is an UFO from before I knew how to knit socks. I am making a pair of granny square cuffed socks.
I designed another pair of socks for spring and today I dreamed up a couple more. Those I still have to finish charting out. The owners of my LYS complimented me on how much I have going on my blog, designing and on the needles, but I really feel so sluggish in finishing anything lately. I only finished the one pair of Tabi socks in April.
Oh well, onward and upward...

On the needles: Granny Square Socks, Flaming Anklets, April Raindrop Socks, Sidewinder socks,

Recent finished objects: Annetrelac socks, Jaywalker socks, Flaming socks, Pi Togue Hat, Noro Rainbow socks,
The Following User Says Thank You to ahkatelier For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (05-02-2008)
Old 05-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #507
LadyB
1st Leg of the Journey

That is such a lovely sweater and hat! The contrast is just perfect. What a blessed baby.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #508
Firey Vixxen
1st Leg of the Journey

Why am I whispering? I'm on a computer, You can't hear me
Everyone's been really, really quiet lately. How's things Going? anyone finished a project lately?
I've FINALLY made some serious progress on the CBJ arm (Third time lucky) and hope to be working on the yoke this weekend. I'm missing my deadline though. Oh, well, that's what snail mail and taxtime were invented for.
Other news, my stash has decreased by a 48 litre box. How, you may ask when I'm such an impossibly-not slow, "ADD" Knitter. Zip lock bags. Stick your yarn in and squash the air out. you'd be amazed at how much of your stash is air. and I can now see what I have in my stash without dumping it all over the floor. I also need more green Yarn (only 2 half skeins! how the hell did that happen? I also have alot of Pink. What The?).
Of course, in reward for all that destashing, I had to go to my LYS. But I was a good fox and took a list of the yarns I needed for future planned projects and a voucher. And though I was tempted by "almost, but not quiet" yarns, I stayed strong. I also got some 10mm 80cm Needles so when I next go home, My rug is going to be a foot longer.
Soo, Yay me. Anyone else with some yays?
FV
Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #509
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi'ya!

Yes, it has been quiet in the Halls of Stashology, hasn't it?!!

I knit a couple of baby sets using Stash. Finished them up...and now I have them posing for me on my sofa! I love looking at them! The shower isn't til August!

Then I started a mis-calf hooded coat for myself. "GROVE" by Elsebeth Lavold. It is also Stash Yarn! I've had 10 delicious skeins of Malabrigo...just waiting for the right project! I wanted to knit something that would use all 10 skeins...and this coat will do it! I'm done with the BACK..and the Left Front will be done today.

Here is the BACK. She has a couple of creases. I finished her on our wilderness trip...so I folded her up and stuffed her in a silk yarn bag to keep her clean! I haven't washed or blocked her yet.
Right now, she is just relaxing. Havent' woven in the ends either.

This is a closeup of the cable panel. It starts at about the waist and is 16" long.

Let me tell you a funny wilderness vacation story: About once per trip...my DH 4-wheels down the mountain to go into a small town to get supplies, gas, propane, etc. I used to go with him WHEN this small town of Republic had a yarn shop! I loved stopping in, saying hi...and maybe finding a goodie to take home! Her prices were always much better than my LYS in the big city. But, she closed shop two summers ago! So, I quit going to town with John altogether. I just waited in camp and knitted til he returned. The trip down the mountain is very torturous and bumpy. Why bother if there is nothing to do in town except wait for him to finish doing his man stuff?!

Well, to get to the point: John called me from town...and said:
"You'll never guess where I am right now! I'm in the Yarn Shop!"

Well, she had re-opened a few months ago! New name, but the same shop!

So, he got her business hours and tel number for me! When we left town on Saturday, he took me into town to visit the shop!

Well, I caved in and bought some yarn!! She had a lot of yarn at half price! Oh my. I purchased 16 skeins of this blue mix for just $3.47 per skein (135 yds each!). I have enough to make something for me...and another baby set for Elaine's baby boy due in July!

I also bought 3 skeins of this for $2 per skein! (200 yd skeins!)
It is all she had, and it will make a child's sweater for sure!

She also had one skein remaining of this, a 525 yd skein for which I paid $8! The shop lady said it felts really well! But, I could also use it for a child's set. It is not at all itchy or scratchy for a New Zealand wool!

And, last but not least...I caved in and purchased 8 skeins of Rowan Felted Tweed, dk weight. This will be knit into an Elsebeth Lavold Viking Knits pullover or cardigan! The skeins have 191 yds!
I didn't get this green tweed yarn on the sale rack however.

This is what I'm counting as my REWARD YARN...for the baby sets I made with Stash! It's a good thing I had 6 Stash Projects Credit! I never saw this new yarn shop coming! Totally unplanned. But, I wanted to support her! I am so happy this teensy weensy little mountain town has a LYS again...and it is a beautiful shop! She converted her little cottage into a yarn shop! It isn't huge, but she has utilized her space very efficiently! She used to display her knits in the local art gallery! She is a wonderful knitter! And, designer, too!

Well, dear sister knitters...I guess that's my news for now! My Stash went down...then up. But for HALF PRICE on most of it!

BTW: the shop owner was tickled to death when John walked in! She told me (when I came in 3 days later) that it was so sweet to see this unshaven mountain man walk in and say "My wife is going o be so happy to see you're back! You are the same lady who ran the LOOSE BLUE MOOSE, right? Let me call her right now and tell her!" She said most husbands she knows would drive right by a yarn shop and not blink, let alone stop in and inquire!!

I've always said: a man that lives harmoniously with a knitter is a Saint!
Here's mine!

He cleans up real good when we're back to civilization!

Artlady at Rav
Old 05-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #510
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Looks like you had a great time, ArtLady! You got all this yummy yarn too... I can report that i haven't knitted anything from the stash, as i'm knitting presents right now from a specially bought yarn. We're flying to Moscow next Thursday for 3 weeks, and when we return - i promise to get on track. Though i'm planning a trip to a few mills there that have shops AND yarn is considerably cheaper and they have a huge variety, so i saved money for that one. Promise to show pictures when i'm back
Closed Thread