Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #581
YvetteKnits
Casting On

O.K. I am here a little late, but I'll consider 2008 the year of sort and iventory. I think I can do that by New Years!

I have a giant (5'x3') bag of yarn in the garage. Scary closets stuffed with yarn here and there, patterns for projects all over the house. So my goal will be to sort, wind, organize and plan. Then 2009 will be my year of knitting through the stash!

Ready, Set, Go Me!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-11-2008, 02:39 AM   #582
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Way to go Yvette! 2009 will be a stash-busting year for me, too. My goal will be ALL STASH KNIT. (No 'rewards yarn' for me.) My DH is retiring on Dec 31. It will be financially challenging. Yarn purchases will not make any sense. I have so much yarn now...it is ridiculous. I could knit stash for 10 years and prolly have yarn to spare.

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #583
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

I think i will dedicate 2009 to stash knitting also, unless i'll have a project that i'm sure to start and i don't have the yarn for. I don't have SABLE stash, but still i have enough yarn to satisfy me through the year Now, to asking advice: I have DK/sport weight boucle acrylic yarn in light canary color. What would you knit with it? I have enough for a tank top at least, if not for a short cardi. Or a baby blanket?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #584
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Either of those projects you mentioned would be nice!

Depending on your total yardage...a summery shawl. The light canary color reminds me of something citrusy and summery!

What is your total yardage? You didn't mention.

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #585
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Either of those projects you mentioned would be nice!

Depending on your total yardage...a summery shawl. The light canary color reminds me of something citrusy and summery!

What is your total yardage? You didn't mention.
Now that you mention, i should check that ::after checking ::
I would like to think it's DK, but it's actually lace weight (i remembered it being thicker) and it's really old, from my grandma's acrylic stash, it only states actual weight of the ball - 40 gr and i have a total of 280-300 grams. Decisions, decisions... It's the boucle that is bothering me - i need to swatch that thing
Old 11-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #586
Firey Vixxen
1st Leg of the Journey

Yay Yvette! Welcome to the stash train. I'm going to be joining you, Nat and Artlady next year. Despite trying to use stashed yarn, my stash has grown. how did that happen? never mind, I've remembered.
Well, I've got some Pics for you guys to oggle. Firstly there is my first pair of socks, using stash yarn!
Then we have mermaid gloves for one of my friend's 21st. this was reward yarn
Then we have the Pixie Hat for the other 21st coming up, using stash yarn (although if i had to do it again I'd double up the yarn, the Pink/Purple yarn used less than a skein and I had two and the hat came up abit thin )
Then we have Trudie, using some reward yarn and some stash yarn.
And finally 2 cupcakes, using mainly stash yarn .
The sad news is I now have 4 new Partial skeins to add to my stash. so my stash goal for next year is that I can only buy 1 skein for every 2 skeins used (Yeah, we'll see how long that lasts ) and each skein only counts when the project is finished (That should take care of the UFO's).

Nat, I like the Shawl idea alot as well. What about a point up shawl simple lace pattern (eg, YO, drop YO's) with slightly larger than normal needles? that'd make it lovely and drapey and airy for summer, and even out any bumpiness from the boucle. And it'd be quicker to knit than the bitty bitty neddles normally used for fingering weight.
FV
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	StashieCollage.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	50885  
Old 11-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #587
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Firey Vixxen View Post
Nat, I like the Shawl idea alot as well. What about a point up shawl simple lace pattern (eg, YO, drop YO's) with slightly larger than normal needles? that'd make it lovely and drapey and airy for summer, and even out any bumpiness from the boucle. And it'd be quicker to knit than the bitty bitty neddles normally used for fingering weight.
FV
I was thinking about the shawl idea and really like, but i wonder if i'll use everything up. I don't really like the color, it's not "me". I think i have enough projects on my hands now and i'll definitely think of something.
I really loved your FO's! Idea for the partial skeins - oddball Log Cabin blanket. Every time you have a partial skein - knit one part and so on!

I found use for another stash yarn - it's cobweb wool in enormous amounts (i think knitted single ply it will be enough for 7-8 shawls), it's in bottle green color. I decided to knit it using 5-6 strands together. I'm designing a shawl now, based on EZ's Pi Shawl, with lace patterns from "The knitting stitch bible" by Maria Parry-Jones, i'll see how that will turn out!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #588
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

JANUARY STASHGHAN KNITALONG
I'm hosting the January 2009 KH knitalong. We are going to
be knitting seamless STASHGHANS...either the BLOCKS style using the Intarsia technique...or the LOG CABIN style.

I have personally decided to make the LOG CABIN style, and I found a free pattern at freepatterns.com, but it is also in the Mason-Dixon book #1.

Click HERE to look at the details of our STASHGHAN knitalong!
You'll also see the link for the free pattern download.

I have an update in post#3, too.

Ravelry has featured the FREE VERSION of the Log Cabin baby blanket, too. So if you are a Raveler, you can read up on other people's projects. (There are 6 total so far.) Since the Log Cabin "baby blanket" is worked from the middle-out...you can make it as small or large as you want.

The pattern calls for DK weight, but you could use Aran or worsteds, too. The pattern shows a "color theme"...but I think a random mix of colors from your stash would be nice, too!

The Log Cabin can be started in January, however, it can be worked on, and added to, all year long!

My bag of stash that's been lurking in the cupboard for a couple years.

Rowan claims that Calmer is DK weight, but it is the fattest DK weight I ever used. Well, for the Log Cabin it doesn't matter.
There is one skein of a richer yellow in the top right corner that claims it's 'bulky'. No matter. It looks the same to me. I'll salt it in randomly...maybe heavy in the center of the stashghan!

Wanna join us? January 1, 2009! Put that date in your calendar!

Artlady at Rav
Old 12-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #589
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Before we retire this thread - i just want to report that i finished my Tamsin sweater with stash Rowan Big Wool. Having halves of skeins left, i quickly made a matching Mini hat, so that yarn is soooo finished! I also knitted mittens for my sister with leftover Taiga Melody from the wedding lapghan i made for my friend and i knitted socks for my dad with stash sock yarn i had for a while!
I don't have pictures yet for everything, i hope i'll post them soon in the Watcha knitting forum.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #590
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Way to go KnittingNat! Thanks for the update!!! We will look for your project in Whatcha Knitting!

I won't retire the 2008 Year of the Stash thread until Dec 31, 2008 at 11:59 pm!

Yeah, like I'm gonna be sitting here at the 'puter on New Year's Eve watching the clock.

Or am I?

I know I'll be up, knitting...and my DH will be in bed, as usual.
He goes to bed when the chickens do, and I'm the nightowl. Makes ya wonder how in the world we managed to create 5 children, don't it??

Artlady at Rav
Closed Thread