Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Need opinion please!
Well...I was just sitting here admiring the first sleeve of my first fair isle sweater and noticed a mistake. WAY. DOWN. AT. THE. BOTTOM. Where the white arrow points there should be another row of "old gold". NO WAY am I frogging this so now this question is do I repeat the mistake on the second sleeve so they match or do it correctly?
If I do the second sleeve correctly there is a small chance I would go back and cut off the bottom of the first sleeve to fix it instead of ripping all the way back. However, if I repeat the mistake on the second sleeve do you think it will then look ok with the body will look done correctly? Picture of finished sweater here: http://www.inlovewithautumnrose.blogspot.com/
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sleevemistake.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	45412  
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-20-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Silver
Instepping Out

Well I would say "It's barely even noticeable, don't even worry about it." But, being the perfectionist I am, it would drive me nuts if that were my mistake.

I would cut it and do a kitchener stitch graft to fix it. It's a bit of trouble, but if you're anything like me, that mistake is going to haunt you everytime you look at the sweater. And the time spent to fix it will be worth it when you finish your perfect sweater. Which is going to be freaking GORGEOUS, by the way.

I have cut and grafted a new row because one legth of yarn looked "dirtier" than the rest. Yes, I am an utterly obsessed perfectionist. (Which is not always a good thing.)

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
sinistral_needler
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to sinistral_needler
I would not frog anything, especially something intricate like that! I would make the other sleeve match. The imperfections give it character. I told my mom that I made a mistake on her sweater and that's what she said anyway.

"Do whatever {Jesus} tells you to." ~ John 2:5
OTN: Nashua simple ribbed scarf, Seeded Cable Cardigan for Mom, washcloths, Rainy Day Scarf
OTH: baby bobble afghan, shells afghan
sinistral_needler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Originally Posted by sinistral_needler
I would not frog anything, especially something intricate like that! I would make the other sleeve match. The imperfections give it character. I told my mom that I made a mistake on her sweater and that's what she said anyway.
Normally, I would agree (which is why I thought of making the other sleeve match) but this one is totally bugging me!

Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Well I would say "It's barely even noticeable, don't even worry about it." But, being the perfectionist I am, it would drive me nuts if that were my mistake.

I would cut it and do a kitchener stitch graft to fix it. It's a bit of trouble, but if you're anything like me, that mistake is going to haunt you everytime you look at the sweater. And the time spent to fix it will be worth it when you finish your perfect sweater. Which is going to be freaking GORGEOUS, by the way.

I have cut and grafted a new row because one length of yarn looked "dirtier" than the rest. Yes, I am an utterly obsessed perfectionist. (Which is not always a good thing.)
What a fabulous idea! It didn't even occur to me I could graft it! Ok so what do you think would be the easiest? I'm thinking cut it through the row of black since there is only one row of that it won't interfere with anything. Then I could reknit the black row onto the bottom part and graft the bottom to the top using the gold?
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

If it were me, I'd say that's just a minor error, that I'd leave it and make the other sleeve match.

But, hey! If you can do all that cutting and grafting, then go for it! I'm not even up to doing such beautiful colorwork myself, so I'm probably not the one to ask.
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
If you hadn't pointed it out I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Since it's on the edge like that to me it looks intentional. Rather than frog it just make the other sleeve the same way. No one is the wiser and saves you a ton of hassle.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
willi.t
Casting On

No Tears
I would just go on, do the other sleeve the same way OR you could forget about this sleeve and do the other according to pattern because the two sleeves will never be side by side for a magnifying glass to compare them. One thing to consider, your sweater will be totally UNIQUE, there will never be another like it. If you don't tell, no one will know but you.
Willi
willi.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #8
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
I agree with Jan. I would never have noticed it, and it does look intentional to me because of the way there is no gold band on the bottom side of that band of reddish (near the bottom of the sleeve).

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
As someone wise once said, "It's not a mistake, it's a personalization." And as Zappa once said, on another subject, "No one will know unless it's you that tells them so."

Personally, I'd do the other sleeve in the same manner and go for it, unless you really want the learning experience of cutting the sleeve and sewing it back together again; I'm too busy and not nearly Silver enough to do that. (Silver )

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by kemp View Post
What a fabulous idea! It didn't even occur to me I could graft it! Ok so what do you think would be the easiest? I'm thinking cut it through the row of black since there is only one row of that it won't interfere with anything. Then I could reknit the black row onto the bottom part and graft the bottom to the top using the gold?
Yep, that's how I would do it. Best to leave it at grafting a solid color row than adding to the difficulty with a multi colored graft. Although I know you could totally do it.

Just snip one black stitch and pull out the yarn stitch by stitch and placing each side on a needle. Knit one row of black (to make up for the row you just pulled out, then do the grafting with the gold. Weave in the ends and Viola. Like it never happened, and you'll feel like a total knit master.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote