Old 11-20-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Crochet Stitches, are Variations Allowed?
I learned to crochet some 30 years ago from my mom. I just picked up again to make some matching dish cloths, napkin rings, and place mats for my wife. (Yeah, I am one of the rare men that can crochet or knit ) For the dish cloth, I didn't like the shell patterns that I had, so I tried my own, using what I thought was a half-double crochet. So after the chain to size (plus 3) I yo, through both loops of the st to work and yo, then instead of pulling through all loops I left one and then yo and through two remaining on hook. Boy that was taking longer than I remembered, even if it was kitchen cotton and a size e hook.

After a few rows, I looked in the back of the pattern book and saw my error and on the following rows I've used hdc stitches.

I liked that the first few rows didn't leave an opening as much as a hdc, but what is (or should) it be called (other than a mistake)? How about tqdc (or 3qdc) for a three-quarters double crochet or maybe sdc for a half slip-stitched dc?

I also wanted to give the FO a waffle pattern, but I guess that would require a size e afghan hook.

TIA,

Jack

ETA (well, to clear up the confusing) description...

Quote:
I yo, through both loops of the st to work and yo, then instead of pulling through all loops I left one and then yo and through two remaining on hook.
I start with a YO, go through both sides of ST to be worked. (At this point isn't an HDC pull through all leaving one loop on hook) Instead I only pull through ST and my YO which leaves two loops on hook, YO again and pull through.

Contrast with DC: Start with YO, go through the ST to be worked and pull up a loop, YO and pull through two, YO again and pull through two again (leaving one loop on hook.)

Or am I just confused about what stitch is what? It has been about 30 plus years since my last project.

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 11-20-2007 at 05:15 PM.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Boogs
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Boogs
Originally Posted by OffJumpsJack View Post
...I yo, through both loops of the st to work and yo, then instead of pulling through all loops I left one and then yo and through two remaining on hook.
Sounds like a dc to me but I think it's really cool that you're a bloke who crochets!

I am not obsessed, I'm just highly pre-occupied!

Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
aprildavis99
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to aprildavis99
Ok. Took me a minute to figure out what you were describing. It sounds like you did a slip stitch then pulled through the two loops you had left. No, there is no name for what you did other than oops. When you're making any stitch other than a slip stitch, you insert you hook into the stitch to be worked, pull up a loop, yo, always pull through 2 loops---except for the hdc where you pull through 3 loops(leaving only 1 loop left) ON the non-hdc's you continue pulling through 2 loops at a time until you have only 1 loop left.
www.nexstitch.com has great videos of basic and fancy crochet stitches. Check it out.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
EssenceRose
Knitting the Flap

Hopefully this will help:

HDC: Yarn over hook.
Insert hook in the next stitch to be worked.
Yarn over hook.
Pull yarn through stitch.
Yarn over hook.
Pull yarn through all 3 loops on hook (one half double crochet made).

Double Crochet:
Yarn over hook
Insert hook in the next stitch to be worked.
Yarn over hook.
Pull yarn through stitch.
Yarn over hook.
Pull yarn through 2 loops on hook.
Yarn over hook.
Pull yarn through last 2 loops on hook (one double crochet made).

On the hook! - Fan Bookmark Scarf , Friendship Doily, Fan Bookmark

Rantings of a Crazed Woman!

EssenceRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
remclave
1st Leg of the Journey

In all honesty, if you've created a new stitch, go with it and see where it leads you. No stitch is wrong if you achieve a modicum of success. Well, that's my take on it anyway.

OTHA, if you really were looking to do a hdc, dc, or other stitch then you have been given excellent advice on how to make them. :D

WIMs:
>Laphghan

OTNs:
>
Intarsia sweater; Toys for Tots 2009 toy baby blankets

FOs:
>
6 pr socks (includes Leaves in the Rain Socks); 1 pr baby socks; cradle cap shawl; 2 Aran jumpers; 3 washclothes; fingerless gloves for DD; 2 Forest Canopy Shawls; numerous baby blankets (Toys for Tots 2008); BSJ

OTHs:
>Filet panel; Carry-All bag; 2 Christening gowns;

CFOs
>Faux knitted handbag; Amigurumi owl, panda bear (no pattern); 2 Filet square doilies
remclave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:12 AM   #6
Riss
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Riss
I just did a few of your new stitches into the piece i'm working on, then did a few extended hdc's and sc's next to it for comparison. Your stitch has a horizontal stripe of yarn at the bottom, where as the others just have the two verticals...

It seems to be about the same size as an extended sc, yet it has that little extra bit of yarn down at the bottom....

You definitely have me baffled. It isn't the easiest to do, because you're pulling directly into a tightly drawn loop, that first one after you've pulled up the loop...

It's definitely a pretty stitch though...
"Super green."
-The Fifth Element

Rissymur on Ravelry
Riss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
sylvia
Knitting the Flap

in crochet
the first time is a mistake
second time same
third time is a new stitch
go for it
crochet is a forgiving art
sylvia
sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
kkatt82
Ribbing the Cuff

Sorry to burst any "new stitch" bubbles, but it sounds to me like you're describing a "herringbone half-double crochet" or hhdc. It is used in the Fat Bottom Bag pattern from Sn'B Happy Hooker.

Hhdc (herringbone half-double crochet): YO, insert hook in next st, YO, draw yarn through st and first loop on hook, YO, draw through both loops on hook.

Hope that helps

"RunningMommy" on Ravelry too!

My Blog

My FO Album
kkatt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kkatt82 For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (01-25-2008)
Old 01-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Thank you all for the comments. As Riss said it is a difficult stitch. The herringbone HDC sounds like a match. Figures after centuries of the craft that it wouldn't be a new thought.

I frogged it then started anew using the long tail cast on. 55 st to a size G 6/4.25mm hook then continued with afghan stitch. Did that wrong for two rows and then found did it correct for another three rows. Frogged again and am now on row two using afghan st started with the LTCO. Long way to go to finish.

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 11-13-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling change.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Well the project is now finished.
FROGGed and restarted twice before going with LT CO and afghan stitch.

The dish cloth is now finished and I will try to get a picture and post it here (if I can also figure out how to do that).

Afghan dish cloth with rope edge. (Image in development).

--Jack

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.