Old 11-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
philc5
Casting On

Binding off in an open work lace pattern
Hi, everyone! I recently knit a shawl for a friend using a stitch known as "fagotting", which is a very simple, open-work stitch. The pattern is: *yarn over, ssk, all the way across each row. It seems related to (or perhaps identical with?) a stitch known as "purse stitch."

Anyway, I've knit up the whole thing to the desired length; it's a more or less semi-circular pattern, and I've ended on the side that would be the diameter of the circle (so I've got lots and lots of stitches on my needle). Now it's time to bind off.

However, I know if I bind off in pattern, the stitches are going to gather into a much tighter gauge and I'll lose the width of the shawl's top row. I thought perhaps I should first knit a row by inserting additional stitches, and then bind off on the following row, but with this kind of open work pattern, I don't know where or how I should pick up the extra stitches.

Any help for binding off an open work, lace pattern like this without messing up the gauge?

Many thanks!
philc5 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Do you think it would work to knit (or purl) a row across and then bind that off, possibly with a larger needle?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:46 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Try binding off in knit st and use a larger needle to do it; that way, the BO row would be the knit row.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:57 AM   #4
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Some people also use a suspended castoff or do a yo every 3 stitches, treating it like all the others (do a yo on the right needle, pass over the previous k stitch, do a couple of normal castoff stitches, etc.).
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:09 AM   #5
philc5
Casting On

I figured it out
After delaying and delaying for weeks and weeks, I finally decided I was going to bind off this work whether it came out right or not. Fortunately, I picked the perfect method, and it turned out to be super simple.

First I simply doubled all the stitches by knitting into the front and back of every stitch for one row. Then I bound off the regular way. The number of stitches seemed to work perfectly-- the finished edge is no shorter or longer than it should be.
philc5 is offline   Reply With Quote