Old 11-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
Jens
1st Leg of the Journey

Shawls
do you wear them?? They look great on people i can't seem to stop looking at them and wanting to make them BUT it's something that I wouldn't tend to wear. I made one I really like a while back and so far it just lays around the house. I've never worn it out. Now I'm using Malabrago lace to make another. It's retangle so I might use it...just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Maybe I should stick with socks...

Last edited by Jens : 11-24-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-22-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
starburst
Knitting the Flap

I guess it depends on the person. I don't really wear them that much, but considering my collegiate wardobe consists mostly of sweatshirts, it's not that surprising.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I love to knit shawls they are so pretty...but as of right now I don't have any to my name...I keep giving them away except my moon dance and mom requested it for a shadow box...I'm not really a person who would wear shawls but you can also wear them as a scarf and I would do that...I'd prolly find a way to wear it as a wrap as well...maybe my next one I'll keep

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
mommydearest
1st Leg of the Journey

I will be knitting myself a shawl early 2008 (I hope). I have two I purchased in Mexico a few years ago and I wear them in the winter (SW Fla). I usually keep them in the car though so I have something to cover me up during and after my kids swim practice. I tend to wear capris and polo shirts to practice and once the sun sets it gets chilly enough to cover up. I love them and can't wait to make my own. I don't think it matters what you wear them with, ie jeans, shorts, sweats, etc as long as you are comfortable.

I will say they are not easy to wear while knitting...

Mary

FO's: Lots of dishcloths, beanies, bandanas, Easy Lace Scarf, Christmas Stockings - mini and regular sizes, Central Park Hoody, Scarf & Hat set, an American Flag Table Runner, Chenille Pillow cover

frogged: Log Cabin Stashghan - I'll try again but in different colors.

I'm jamn2knit @
http://www.ravelry.com/people/jamn2knit
mommydearest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I've made a few and wear them around the house, may take one to work for when it gets chilly.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

I love shawls and wear them all the time, and have since I was in college (okay, from 1975 to 1979 :D) None of mine are fancy lace. They're just right to throw over a sweatshirt during our usual winter "it's almost cold enough for a jacket but it'll be too hot in the store" weather. Most of them are triangles that can be rolled up and used as a regular scarf or thrown over my head in our rare bouts of *really* cold weather. Two skeins of Homespun, some #10 or 11s and/or a K or L hook, and a day or so will do nicely.

By the way, the world's simplest shawl pattern if you've got pretty shiny yarn like that...make the first half of a dishcloth! The yarn overs on the edges make a nice place to hook on the fringe.
boo1 (11-25-2007)
Old 11-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

I also love shawls and those short little capelet-thingys. They're very feminine and flattering.

And for those of us menopausal, this is the Only way to go to cope with those pesky hot flashes! It's sooooo easy to toss off a shawl, then pull it on again once that fire-within goes off.

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Howdovely
Originally Posted by Becky Morgan View Post
By the way, the world's simplest shawl pattern if you've got pretty shiny yarn like that...make the first half of a dishcloth! The yarn overs on the edges make a nice place to hook on the fringe.
What's a nice yarn to make one 'shiny'? I made one out of Woolspun and I love it, but it can be too bulky at times. It's REAL warm, but making one on a smaller, thinner scale sounds nice. Anybody have a favorite yarn to make one out of?

----> Howdovely
OTN: Pinwheel blanket for me; Camo Teddy Bear for future crib
COMPLETED: Lapghan for me; Baby Sweater #2; Steelers Skull Cap; Baby Sweater #1; 2 Baby blankets; Prayer Shawl for Charity; Bamboo Scarf; 8 Oddball Baby Blankets for Charity; Booga Bag for me; baby blanket for my neighbor; 3 Dishcloths for my sister
Howdovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Caron Simply soft has a nice sheen to it; it's a thinner worsted, but you can go up to size 10-10.5 with it for a nice airy, lacey shawl.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
boo1 (11-25-2007)
Old 11-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Howdovely
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Caron Simply soft has a nice sheen to it; it's a thinner worsted, but you can go up to size 10-10.5 with it for a nice airy, lacey shawl.
Do you know roughly how many skeins it would take with Caron Simply Soft? It takes roughly 3 skeins of Woolspun, but I"m not sure if it would be the same?

----> Howdovely
OTN: Pinwheel blanket for me; Camo Teddy Bear for future crib
COMPLETED: Lapghan for me; Baby Sweater #2; Steelers Skull Cap; Baby Sweater #1; 2 Baby blankets; Prayer Shawl for Charity; Bamboo Scarf; 8 Oddball Baby Blankets for Charity; Booga Bag for me; baby blanket for my neighbor; 3 Dishcloths for my sister
Howdovely is offline   Reply With Quote