Old 11-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
panthergirl
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to panthergirl
So Much Yarn, So Little Experience
Hi all,

I started knitting last winter and made a bunch of scarves. I attempted a baby poncho which actually turned out fine until I asked my neighbor to help me assemble the pieces and she screwed it up. :(

I went crazy buying yarns, especially when a local store was going out of business. I have wild ribbons, some beautiful grey alpaca wool, sparkly eyelash yarn...you name it.

My problem is that when I look at patterns they tell you exactly what to use. So I understand how to do that, but what about the opposite? How do you figure out what you can make with the yarn you have?

Does this make any sense? Thanks for your help and wisdom!
panthergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

Ah, well I usually wait for my yarn to "speak" to me. sometimes I get a bunch of it out and "commune" with it. I know I'm not the only one! There is yarn that I've had for years, and it doesn't know what it wants to be yet. I just leave it and eventually it speaks. For example, I have 4 skeins of pure wool. Kinda scratchy. Finally one day I was going through one of my pattern books and happened on a felted bag pattern. Perfect!
Hope that helps!
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
alleusion
Turning the Heel

Alot of patterns tell you exactly what yarn to use, up to the brand and colour. I've found however, that you can generally replace it with which ever yarn you'd like in the same weight class. Or adjust your needle size to get the appropriate gauge for the project.

I'm also of the "yarn speaking" type. Unfortunately, the small stash I've aqquired since moving still isn't talking to me. And I'm afraid once I get the rest of my stash, it'll be so mad at me, I'll be lucky if it hrmphs at me.

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

alleusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Keep looking at patterns and when you find those you like, see if you can use some of the yarn you have. It should be of similar weight (dk, worsted, bulky, etc) but you can also sub a different weight and adjust the pattern.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
Aliann
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm glad someone asked that question as I have the book Cables Untangled. The pattern I'm trying is the His/Hers Reversible Scarf which is done in 4-worsted yarn. While I don't have the type of yarn the pattern calls for, I'm hoping to pull it off with Red Heart. Also I don't have a size 7 needle so I'm using size 8 but I do have size 9. I'm going to do a swatch to see how it looks. If I can't pull it off with Red Heart, I may use Plymouth Colorspun. I'll keep you informed of how this goes.
Aliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
For a scarf, following the exact yarn and needles isn't as critical as in a fitted object. I think you'll be just fine, though I suggest going up to a size 10 on the needles - RH is a lot softer if knit a little looser.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Aliann
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks suzeeq, I'll try it that way.
Aliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
mommydearest
1st Leg of the Journey

I am also glad this question was asked. I also feel my yarn will talk to me and tell me what it wants to be. My dd was helping me sort all my stash last night, so I could keep track of what and how much I have. Sshe asked me what I was going to make with it all - I told her I wasn't sure yet. She thinks I'm a bit nuts and maybe obsessed with knitting but hey, there could be worse things to be obsessed with - right???

I used to buy a lot of material and patterns to sew but still have those waiting for me as welll. I just don't have the space in my current house to set up my machine and leave it out for weeks at a time like I did before we moved to FL. Knitting doesn't take up much room (yarn - maybe but not knitting itself).

Mary

FO's: Lots of dishcloths, beanies, bandanas, Easy Lace Scarf, Christmas Stockings - mini and regular sizes, Central Park Hoody, Scarf & Hat set, an American Flag Table Runner, Chenille Pillow cover

frogged: Log Cabin Stashghan - I'll try again but in different colors.

I'm jamn2knit @
http://www.ravelry.com/people/jamn2knit
mommydearest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
panthergirl
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to panthergirl
Thanks for the info, everyone.

I guess I'm a little nervous about "substitution", so I'm just going to have to get over it.

What I've done with some of the eyelash yarns is to double them up with a standard yarn for extra pizazz.
panthergirl is offline   Reply With Quote