Old 11-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
filly67
Casting On

Increasing Sock Sizes
Hi, I am new to your forum but have used this site and found it to be a huge help. I have only been knitting for about three months and have moved onto socks. I seem to have the hang of it but my question pertains to increasing the size that the pattern shows. I have tried making the US size 11 socks that my patterns have shown for my husband. They are the largest showing on the patterns that I have but are a bit to snug for him. I need to increase it at least by a size. Is there a formula that will assist me to let me know how many stitches I need to add to the pattern to increase the size?

I hope this question makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help.
filly67 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Yes, your question makes perfect sense. Here are a couple of thoughts:

First, my favorite sock pattern says simply to knit the foot section until you're 2 inches shy of the total length of the foot when the foot is being stood on. For example, if the foot is 11 inches long, you'd knit for 9 inches, then start decreasing for the toes.

Second, I'd stick with the pattern/same number of stitches - but go up to the next size larger sock needles. Say your pattern calls for size 2 needles - I'd go for size 3. This way, your foot part would be a tad wider, in addition to being the right length. This part seems to be optional, in my experience. But it's something that could well help. There really is quite a difference between a man's size 11 and a ladies' size 6 1/2.

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
filly67
Casting On

Thanks Dot. I making indoor slouch type socks right now and I did increase the needle size from a 5 to a 6 but they really fit me (who is a size 7) better then the hubby. They just seem to tight around the calf and foot although I seem to have the length down. I just came across another pattern that has more ribbing to the sock so I will try that next. Do you think that going up to a 7 needle would help?
Old 11-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Miley384
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by filly67 View Post
Thanks Dot. I making indoor slouch type socks right now and I did increase the needle size from a 5 to a 6 but they really fit me (who is a size 7) better then the hubby. They just seem to tight around the calf and foot although I seem to have the length down. I just came across another pattern that has more ribbing to the sock so I will try that next. Do you think that going up to a 7 needle would help?
Yes! You could go up another size or two. If it fits snug, I woud go up two sizes in the needles. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Personally I would NOT increase the needle size because a sock is more durable when knit tighter. It's also more comfortable knit tighter. A sock that is knit too loose makes it feel like you're walking on pebbles.

I haven't made a lot of socks yet, but I've learned a few things. If you are just making a basic sock increasing a few stitches should be fine.

If you are doing ribbing just make sure that you increase accordingly so the pattern remains the same (like add 4 stitches if you are doing 2x2 ribbing).

If the sock is tight across the instep you can make the heel flap longer and p/u more stitches. Then decrease down to your original number or you can leave more on the needles for a wider foot. On my last socks I made the flap longer and it made a huge difference for my high instep.

If you need a pattern this pattern gives instructions for casting on up to 80 stitches.
http://www.burninghand.org/sockpattern.html

And a good book for socks is Sensational Knitted Socks. It gives you lots of choices in size and gives help for adjusting for a perfect fit.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
Check here for a customized sock pattern
http://sockyarn.co.uk/pattern_calculator.php
sue in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
filly67
Casting On

I just put a hold on More Sensational Socks through my library yesterday. I think I will add on Sensational Socks just for the heck of it. I just found a pattern in my pile for size 12 men's hiking sock that looks like what I need. It has a nice K2 P2 ribbing that I think will give me the exta stretch that I need. Thanks and please keep any and all suggestions coming.