Old 11-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
cristeen
1st Leg of the Journey

New knitter with questions about slip stitches
I learned to knit specifically so I could do a particular pattern, Little Turtle Knits Ribby Wrap diaper cover in wool. Reading over the pattern, I've found directions on here for everything so far except the slip stitch.

The pattern directs you to slip the last stitch in every row so that a crochet gusset can be added at the end. When I'm doing a 1x1 rib and have to slip the last stitch, which way do I slip it and where should the yarn be? If the next stitch should be a purl, should the yarn be in front? And in the back if the next stitch should be knit? Or does it matter? Do I slip the stitch straight across (is that purl-wise?)? Or do I twist it (is that knit-wise?)? Does that depend on which stitch the next one would be? I've been practicing on a dishcloth, and I'm not getting the nice neat edge I expected so I suspect I'm doing something wrong.

Thank you for any clarification.

Cris
cristeen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Newbie2Knitting
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Newbie2Knitting
You should slip the stitch in the same direction as if you were going to continue the rib, i.e. if you would knit the last stitch in the row, have your yarn in back and slip as if to knit with the right needle crossing behind the left; if you would purl the last stitch, put the yarn in front and slip as if to purl with the right needle crossing down and in front of the left needle. I hope I explained that clearly, but I'm afraid I didn't. In essence, do everything you would normally do to either knit or purl (depending on what the next stitch would be) except don't wrap your yarn around the right needle - just pop the left stitch off and put it on the right.
Newbie2Knitting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbie2Knitting For This Useful Post:
cristeen (11-25-2007)
Old 11-24-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
scrappy
Casting On

I am having the SAME problem. So if my pattern says to
Row 1 (RS): s1, *k1, sl1* repeat across from * end k1
Do I slip as if I was going to knit? TO add to my confusion I continental knit (the opposite way most do) and I can never understand the directions in the book with RH and LH needles.
A million thanks for letting me hijack this thread,
D
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
In this case, you slip as if to purl. You only slip knitwise when the slip st is part of a decrease (ssk, or skp). When you knit are you knitting the stitches from the left needle to the right needle? That's how most people knit, it has nothing to do with continental which is just holding your yarn in the left hand.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
scrappy (11-25-2007)
Old 11-25-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
scrappy
Casting On

I am knitting from left to right. (said with a blush)
Thanks for your help.
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
boo1
Turning the Heel

[quote=suzeeq;1010695]In this case, you slip as if to purl. You only slip knitwise when the slip st is part of a decrease (ssk, or skp). [quote]

I would NOT have known that. That needs to be a BIG OLD sticky! I know that when I'm doing something that asks for that pattern, I'll go off and slip as if to knit, and wonder what went wrong.

How do I remember this? I can't remember what I had for breakfast!

boo1
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote