Old 11-24-2007, 11:51 PM   #1
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Barbie doll knit cardigan *2nd photo added..
I bought some toys for the "TOYS for TOTS" program sponsored by the Marine Corps. Here in Korea, they'll donate the toys to local orphanages.

They didn't have any Barbie dolls on base.. so, I bought the only fashion doll that they had.. and decided that "CHICA" needed some winter clothing for the cold Korean winters.. and what fun is a fashion doll.. if you can't change her outfits?

So, my old Barbie doll stood in for 'sizing purposes'.. and I sewed some glass beads on for buttons.
I'll try to knit a hat to match the sweater tonight.. "Well, I'll try.. if I don't poke my eye out trying to knit something that small on double pointed needles!"
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit

Last edited by iwouldratherbeknitting : 11-25-2007 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Added 2nd photo showing all the clothing that I made..
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-24-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
You remind me of my Mom. She knit me barbie doll cloting using toothpicks. She made me Barbie clothing using a hole punch to make buttons from bleach bottles. All the clothing was fantasic. I even had a bride doll outfit. Way to go! Keep up the good work!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
Samsam
Knitting the Flap

What a fab idea. I love making doll clothes. The thought of sharing them with children is great because it's a way they'll appreciate the thought of hand knitted stuff because it's fun to dress your doll with.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

I only wish that someone had known how to knit when I was a kid- I would have loved to have had a hand-knit sweater for my Barbie. I'll have to make her one this year of her very own.. that she can wear stored away in her box- she's been a model for several through the years.. that I've knit for friend's children.

I do still have the Barbie doll clothes that my mother had sewn for my Barbie though.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:31 AM   #5
nannaknits
Knitting the Flap

That is so sweet. When I was little I wanted a Barbie more than anything else. I never got one, but I had a friend who had one and we would play together. Her Mom made outfits for her Barbie. I thought that was so cool. Your little sweater is so precious. And way to go for sharing from the heart!
nannaknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:44 AM   #6
inkaholic
Ribbing the Cuff

My mom's not crafty, but I used to make my own barbie doll clothes all the time--in fact, my parents thought I'd grow up to be a fashion designer (albeit one with a horrible sense of fashion ) because I enjoyed it so much. I'd make dresses out of paper towels, felt, old dish towels, everything, and I taught myself to sew and embroider when I was a kid, so I started cutting up old t-shirts and making barbie clothes out of them too. Wish someone had taught me how to knit back then, I could've knitted them stuff too!
inkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Ink.. when I got my Barbie out of storage.. I found several 'dresses' still in the box that I'd made.. yep, socks w/ the top cut off and arm holes cut out. Or, I'd just get a rectangle of fabric and cut some arm holes out and call it a dress.. all you needed was some yarn or ribbon for a belt. I thought I was really making some clothes!

I think that's why I made some clothing through the years for friend's with little girls.. all little girls should have neat dresses for their Barbie dolls.. AND, a lot of people nowadays either don't know how to sew.. or don't take the time to make little special Barbie outfits for their children.

I'd use fun fur scraps to make fancy jackets.. fake leather for leather skirts and jackets.. I loved playing w/ my Barbie when I was a kid.. I'd wash and iron her clothes.

I recently made some sleeping bags for two sibling's Barbie's that I'll mail to them for Christmas. I used velcro to hold the pillows on so they don't lose them.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:15 AM   #8
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Oh nanna.. you really should buy yourself a Barbie.. knit it a special angora sweater or something.. put her under the tree for decoration. :D

My mom wouldn't buy me Ken.. I think she must have thought he 'had man parts' or something?

I'm glad that you had a friend with a Barbie. They were hours of entertainment. We'd make beds and furniture out of shoeboxes. *NO money for a Barbie house or car.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:17 AM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Those are wonderful! I had a bunch of Barbies and used to make them clothes myself sometimes, but I didn't knit then. Barbies are pretty inexpensive now, Nanna, you should get just one for yourself.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:46 AM   #10
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Nanna, it's settled.. go and get you a Barbie and put a photo of the one you select on this thread.