Old 11-25-2007, 05:04 AM   #1
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

Help with a Hat Pattern
I hope someone can clarify a hat pattern for me. I'm making my first hat using this pattern: http://www.coatsandclark.com/cgi-bin...overed+gotcha+, which is called Gotcha Covered #1 from Coats and Clark.

This probably sounds like a silly question to experience hat knitters but in the pattern is indicates that you're supposed to knit a certain number of inches of the ribbing (depending on size...I'm making the child size) and then switch to larger needles and knit in St. stitch for another specified number of inches "from the beg". Is this from the beginning of the ribbing or the beginning of the St. stitch?

For example, for the child size I'm making, you're supposed to make 5 inches of ribbing and then do St. stitch for "9 inches from the beg". Once again is this 9 inches of St. stitch in addition to the 5 inches of ribbing and then start decreasing to shape the top OR is this 9 inches total (5 inches ribbing + 4 inches St. stitch) and then start decreasing?

Any help would be appreciated.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

It's 9 inches from the Cast On edge which is the beginning of your project.

Generally if they wanted you to do 9 inches from the end of the ribbing it would be stated that way.

But not always.... There really isn't a set of rules for writing out knitting patterns....

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yarnlady For This Useful Post:
yarnrainbow (11-25-2007)
Old 11-25-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Just wanted to add-- yes, it's from the very beginning of your hat, so you will have 5" of ribbing and 4" of stockinette stitch. It's a great pattern-- I use it all the time! Once you've done 1, you'll find it a snap to just churn them out (if you have reason to do so ). Any size, and yarn weight, it all works.
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brittyknits For This Useful Post:
yarnrainbow (11-25-2007)
Old 11-25-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
knitAbikini
1st Leg of the Journey

Just stopping by here bc I am also knitting a hat (kind of winging it, using a couple of patterns for reference) but I am in the middle of my ribbing and wondered is a 5" ribbing pretty standard for a good hat?
knitAbikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you to everyone for the help. Now I can finish my first hat!!

BTW...BrittyKnits, you may the reason I have this pattern. I got it somewhere (can't remember where) from someone who also posted instructions for converting it to a circular knitting pattern.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Yup-- must have been me-- I've converted into circular and would have posted the changes . Glad it was helpful!

And knitAbikini-- I guess you could say it's standard. . .the point is that it can fold up into a brim without being too short and coming undone, or being so long that it hits the top of your head . Check out the pattern yarnrainbow is using (the link is in the first post of this thread)-- they give the brim measurements for making this particular hat for every single size, from preemie to men's. I've made this hat literally dozens of times, and it always comes out great, so I think their brim specifications are good-- IMHO, anyway.
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brittyknits For This Useful Post:
knitAbikini (11-27-2007)