Old 11-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
miccisue
Turning the Heel

About how long does it take to knit dishcloths?
I know it's going to be different for different people, but I'm using really simple patterns....could I get one done in a couple of hours?
The reason I'm asking is because I got a request from a niece (on Thanksgiving, no less) for a blanket for Christmas. Last year I made lapghans - actually they were a little longer than lapghans, but not quite long enough to be called afghans - for the SILs. When we got to chatting at lunch, my older niece said she wanted a book to refresh her knitting skills, which caused the 12 year old to pipe up about the "blankets" I'd made last year, and how long did it take. Her mom added that she was constantly having to fight the girls for it, and it was so nice and cuddly that she loved curling up on the couch with it. Anyway, the 12 year old has decided she wants her own blanket. I figure using bulky or super bulky yarn I can get one whipped up (and probably one for her 11 year old sister), but am also planning on doing dishcloths for the SILs. Am I spreding myself too thin? Do I have to do more than 1 or 2 dishcloths per person?
Seems like no matter how good my intentions are, December always ends up being a month of meeting myself coming and going!!!!!!!!!!!
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
It takes me a couple of hours to do a dishcloth +/-. If I get a request this late in the year, I would tell them that's a great idea for next year and that I'm all booked up for this Xmas ... or you could tuck that idea away for a birthday or some other occasion.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Samsam
Knitting the Flap

Are they going to be facecloths or really used for dishes? because I know some people think they're too pretty to be used on dishes. So if they're facecloths you can include a bar of nice soap with one for each person. Simple design would be best so you can get more knitting time in for the blankets. I think you can do it just start knitting now!
Old 11-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I use the Grandmother's favorite dish rag pattern and it takes me about an hour for one of those if I just sit down and make it... most of the time I keep them in my car and work on them when we go up to wait for the bus in the mornings and afternoons... if I do this it takes a week to finish cause I only work on it at that time....

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
chie96 (11-26-2007), miccisue (11-25-2007)
Old 11-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I knit really fast so I can finish one in a couple of weeks.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
Miley384
1st Leg of the Journey

I am a fairly slow knitter, so it could take me up to 4 hours. It just depends on the difficulty of the pattern and the speed you knit.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

I've just started making these and I think it depends on how complicated the pattern is. It took me a couple of hours to do each one. They are fairly quick but you do have to pay attention to the pattern.
I agree with others, perhaps Thanksgiving is a little late in the game to be requesting a blanket! Perhaps you could say you'd do it but it won't be done in time for the holidays.

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lelvsdgs For This Useful Post:
miccisue (11-25-2007)
Old 11-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
knitgal
Working the Gusset

It depends how long I sit and just work on it for. Usually I can start one in an evening and finish it by the following evening. So....maybe 6 hours total? Maybe 4 depending on the pattern? I like complicated patterns for dishcloths though- they keep me interested and they scrub better than just garter stitch. Okay, that might be a lie, but I tell myself that!
I'm knitting a blanket sort of like the one you described. It's for my DBF's Nanny and I'm knitting it with Patons Shetland Chunky on size 13 needles. It's going pretty quickly, but I started it a couple of weeks ago and I'm only about half finished it. Better get started!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
miccisue (11-25-2007)
Old 11-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
depending upon the pattern, a couple of hours give or take....

as for special orders: if they're not paying, they can wait until next year.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by dustinac View Post
I use the Grandmother's favorite dish rag pattern and it takes me about an hour for one of those if I just sit down and make it... most of the time I keep them in my car and work on them when we go up to wait for the bus in the mornings and afternoons... if I do this it takes a week to finish cause I only work on it at that time....
That's one of the patterns I'm using. The other one I've started is Knit one row, purl one row, k1, p1, k1 ending with a knit stitch on the 3rd row, purl the 4th row, then start over. I started it at 2 yesterday, worked on it until 3, then did two more "sections" last night and it's 5 1/2 inches long so I figure it's roughly halfway done. This one comes out with kind of a nubby pattern, so I don't know if it would be good for a washcloth or not. Also, I am using Sugar 'n Cream and Peaches 'n Cream.....would those be soft enough for washcloths? If so, I could do the thing with a nice bar of soap.
Oh yeah, the blankets aren't going to be huge - they're more a cuddle on the couch type blanket, not a blanket made to cover a bed so hopefully with a bulky yarn and size 11 or 13 needles they'd knit up more quickly.
Whatcha think?
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote