Old 11-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
iwfinley
Ribbing the Cuff

I would also recommend the idea of cleaning it well with the orange stuff or Murphy's. Leave the drawers out of the dresser for a few days, prefererably somewhere in a warm, sunny spot. After that you might throw in some blocks of cedar wood -- it helps give a better smell -- you can buy them lots of places in the section with clothing hangers, etc.

Planned Works: Baby Blankie for my other son's teacher, who is now expecting as well!

Hat and scarf for my 7 year old son, who is not a Harry Potter fan, so they will probably be in blue, his favorite color!

A "Posh Pooch" Sweater for my four legged baby, Ruby!!!!

A scarlet and grey "Ohio State" throw for my DH for Christmas.

I'm RubySue on Ravelry!!!
iwfinley is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
knitncook
Working the Gusset

I hope it works for you. I used to have a lovely bedframe that was willed to my by my great grandmother. I loaned it to my niece when I got married with the condition that I got it back when I had kids. Well, I got it back and it reeked of cigarette smoke! I tried all kinds of things to get the smell out. I ended up giving it back to her because it just seemed so permeated into the wood.

Another idea is after you've cleaned it, line the drawers with something (paper or contact paper) as it will help protect your yarn "just in case" Good Luck!

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 PM   #13
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

You have lots of good suggestions. Febreze won't hurt it at all, but I'd wash it down first and THEN Febreze it and dry it. There's an extra-strength Febreze just for upholstery and stuff that can't be laundered. After it dries, if it smells OK after a few days, you might want to use a water-based low-odor polyurethane inside the drawers. That way, if there's any residual smell, it'll probably be sealed in.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #14
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
If nothing else works, though it may be costly, you could hire a company to come out and ozone it. We had a house fire many years ago and the only way to get rid of the smell of smoke from the house was to have the house ozoned. Of course that may also be quite an inconvenience since you cannot be at home while they are using ozone.

However, I have also read that vinegar works well (because it cuts through the resin and tar), baking soda works, charcoal, and most importantly, fresh air.

Hope that helps!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote