Old 12-03-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
grumbles
Casting On

Remove a Row of Stitches for Casting Off
So I just did my first bit of knitting yesterday.

I decided to start with a long piece of cut yarn rather than pulling from a skein(?), so I just knitted until I hit the end of my working yarn. Except I wasn't thinking clearly...

I had that "one more row" mentality and knitted until I had absolutely no yarn left. Well, now I have nothing to cast off with!

So, is there an easy way to undo an entire row of stitches so that I can use that yarn for casting off?

I'm just using a garter stitch. (That's all knit stitches, right?)

Thanks!

Last edited by grumbles : 12-03-2007 at 09:54 AM.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-03-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Welcome to the world of knitting!!!

Yep it's garter stitch...Amy has a video on how to insert your needle before unraveling here...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
grumbles
Casting On

I don't have a pair of circular needles on hand, so if I use my straight needles to attempt to insert in the row below, I risk my working yarn being on the wrong end of the needle. Unless of course there's an easy way to make sure you end up with the correct orientation, which there may be in my case since I only need to move down one row.

PS Want to hear something crazy? I am a WVU student - currently sitting in the CAC typing this reply. Small world, huh?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Neat!! Dh was at the game was so mad he drove home and didn't stay the night (we grew up in WV but are now in OH)...he was dreading going to work today and hearing it from the OSU fans

Oh ok here is a link to knitty that shows how to "tink" knit backwards...you will enter the stitch below to take them off... sometimes this can cause your sts to be twisted if you watch Amy's video under tips she shows you how to recognize that and how to knit them

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
grumbles
Casting On

Thanks for the link.

From what I understand, I should be able to slip the stitches off of my left needle and onto the right while pulling the working yarn out, then flip needles and begin the cast off process.

I'll see if this works once I get home tonight.