Old 11-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
luvknitting2
Ribbing the Cuff

Felted Clogs Done - All felted - but ???
I finished all 9 pairs of clogs i was making for christmas. Today was the scary day - i felted my first pair. I tried the hand method first because i have a front loading washer and CAN'T open it until the cycle is finished. So hand felting seemed appropriate. Well, 1 hour later and arms/hands so sore i could not continue - they were still not small enough. So, i put them in the dryer to see if they could shrink the rest of the way - for about 20 minutes. Nothing happened.

So, i went ahead and did it in the washer anyway on a speedwash cycle that takes 37 minutes - put them in a pillowcase and then lots of towels for friction. When it was done i opened the bag and took out the clogs - and yes they had shrunk and were the CORRECT size - yeah.

But this is my question. Has anyone else had the problem with them rolling up in a ball and getting wrinkled????? i flattened them out out and stuffed them with grocery sacks (plastic) and tried to get the wrinkles out - they look great size-wise, but i don't like the wrinkles. any suggestions??? will they go away as they dry completely - or are they permanent??? if so, what can i do so the other 8 pairs i need to felt don't get the wrinkles - since i can't open my washer to adjust things during the process. Thx for all the helpful answer in advance.
luvknitting2 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Indygirl

Sorry, I don't have the answer, but I will be glad to see what other's have to say about this. I have the same problem
Old 11-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
You can actually throw them in the dryer for a bit. Otherwise, stuff them and let them dry. They should be fine.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,135 Times in 706 Posts
They get the wrinkles from spinning cyle.It happen to a purse i made and they came out when they dried.

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I had alot of trouble getting mine to felt down. I finally ended up using the dryer, ALOT. I think it was Ingrid or Jan who suggested it. I would wash then dry and start again. When they were finally the right size, and all wrinkled in a ball I throughly soaked them in the sink in water and then stuffed them with bags and let them air dry. They came out perfect. The dryer was the key to getting them down to the right size.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote