Old 11-27-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
annie23
Casting On

REALLY BASIC QUESTION!
I'm new to knitting! and I just love this site, so i am hoping someone here can help me!! I cast on using the long tail method, then i began to knit stitch my way through. i got about, 12 rows down (I dont know what it was supposed to be i was just knitting away) and i realized that the amount of stitches on my needle is GROWING every 3 rows or so. Resulting in the most embarrassing piece if knit work ever! What did i do wrong? How come this is happening? Thank you so much any information would be great!!

annie23 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,742 Times in 7,114 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Annie!

It's very common for new knitters to accidentally add extra stitches. It's usually caused by not having the yarn in the back of the knitting or not moving it back after purling. There are videos for basic stitches at the tab at the top of the page, plus there is a sticky post at the top of the forum in the How-to-Forum. Check those out and see if it helps you out.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
annie23 (11-27-2007)
Old 11-27-2007, 12:23 AM   #3
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

This is very common for new knitters. You are probably positioning your working yarn such that it makes it look like you have two stitches rather than one and if you don't always do it, every row or so often will increase. You make sure your working yarn is in back, but do that by bringing it toward you then down and back, not over and back. Over and back makes the two "legs" of the knit stitch wrap around the needle and people commonly knit both of those legs thus causing an extra stitch.
annie23 (11-27-2007)
Old 11-27-2007, 12:24 AM   #4
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

Krappe! Too slow! LOL
Old 11-27-2007, 01:17 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
You are probably positioning your working yarn such that it makes it look like you have two stitches rather than one and if you don't always do it, every row or so often will increase.
That's most common on the end st, which when you turn for the next row, it looks like 2 sts at the start of the row. When the yarn is pulled up, it makes the 2 legs look like separate stitches. I usually advise people to pull the yarn off to the side, that way you can tell there's only one stitch there.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
chie96
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
That's most common on the end st, which when you turn for the next row, it looks like 2 sts at the start of the row. When the yarn is pulled up, it makes the 2 legs look like separate stitches. I usually advise people to pull the yarn off to the side, that way you can tell there's only one stitch there.
That's exactly what I was doing when I first started! I added a st every single row and no matter how hard I tried to figure it out I couldn't. I actually gave up trying to learn for a year - until I came here and saw the sticky on mysterious sts that appeared out of nowhere. All-of-a-sudden I "got" it and now am really enjoying knitting.
I hope the op figures it out!!!

chie96 is offline   Reply With Quote