Old 11-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
bellewalker
Casting On

Send a message via ICQ to bellewalker
felting an old sweater
I have a sweater my husband gave me years ago and I hold on to it because of that but i don't wear it. it is a wool grey sweater with a snowflake pattern and I thought I could use it to make a felted purse. Any ideas, insight, etc. on how to do this?
bellewalker is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
I've thought about doing the same thing with Goodwill or thrift store finds.

All you'd have to do is wash the sweater in hot water, and check to make sure it felts.

When it's felted as much as you want, just cut out the sections you want to use, then sew them together to make a purse or whatever you want.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I have plans to do the same thing - I knit the sweater 20+ yars ago, it really barely fits 20 years later. I wore it anyway last winter to an ice skating party and afterwards washed it and shurnk....er, I mean felted it... by mistake.

So mad at myself I tossed it in the 'goodwill' bag. A few days later I realized I had the beginnings of a great felted purse/bag so I pulled it back out to keep. I finally found the handles I wanted to use - sort of this, but the bar across the bottom is longer: http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Fashi...ndle-2898.html.

It still sits in the "I'm going to make this one day" pile, but I really will.....eventually. I think the front/back will make the front/back & sides of the purse, the ribbing around the bottom of the sweater will be the bottom of the purse. I thought about using the sleeves for the handle, but bought some instead.

I'm thinking if I cut open the sleeves into flat pieces I may have a 2nd, smaller purse, too.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
It really is a good idea. We can even make pockets inside the bag with some of the fabric.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
mwhite
Instepping Out

I've done it and it works well. There should be a photo in my photobucket site... link at bottom. Shandeh is right, felt it first, then cut out the parts and stitch together. Use a nice lining fabric, make pockets and WHA LA! If you compare the cost of yarn and your labor to a Goodwill sweater for $2 it's alot cheaper, too!
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
bellewalker
Casting On

Send a message via ICQ to bellewalker
Thanks!
thanks for the tips and the feedback. i plan to try it out and hope it does not end up in my "to do" pile, though i am in desperate need of a winter purse.
bellewalker is offline   Reply With Quote