Old 11-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
KerryKnitter
Casting On

YO
I've seen YO/yarn over mentioned in a lot of patterns (I still haven't actually figured out how to follow a pattern lol)

what does this mean and how do I ''yarn over''? Thanks a million!
KerryKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
A YO is a yarn over increase. It's essentially an extra wrap of the yarn around the needle. If you're doing a YO before a knit stitch, bring the yarn to the front, and as you knit the next stitch, the yo will be created. If it's before a purl, you bring the yarn over the needle and to the front again before you purl the next stitch.

It creates an eyelet, and is often accompanied by a knit 2 together to compensate for the increase.

If you check out YO in the Glossary section, you'll find video.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
KerryKnitter
Casting On

Okay thanks, what exactly is the point in doing this though? lol, sorry for appearing so clueless, but I kind of am lol!
KerryKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Like Ingrid said, it's an increase, so you're making a stitch. For example Grandma's favourite dishcloth seen here uses YO on the edges. This is knit by beginning with 4 stitches and adding stitches by doing YO. They create the holes on the edges. Then you decrease to create a diamond. It will be easier to understand once you try it out!
If you need any help with a specific pattern, we're all here to help.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

It creates a decorative hole in a pattern. It also is used to create a buttonhole in knit fabric.
You can do multiple wraps with the yarn in a yarnover and get a very lacy open look in your pattern.
It is a very useful stitch and you will find it frequently in decorative patterns.