Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
fionat
Casting On

I need help with joining peices:)
Hi everyone. I am getting really frustrated here, lol. I used to be an avid knitter, but then got into quilting for a long time, but recently got hooked on knitting again. However well I can manage the actual stitches and follow the directions....I am totally hopeless trying to put things together. In the past 3 weeks, I've made the "pieces" to 3 baby sweaters..yet when I try to do the mattress stitch (even while watching the video) I just cannot get it!! Now I remember WHY I used to knit blankets and scarves, lol! Does anyone know of another way (not the 3 needle thing either, ugh tried it, cant get it) thats for simple people? We have a local yarn shop which is beautiful, but they just don't help you unless you take their classes, which are really expensive....works out to $25. and hour..and thats just too much!! I know I'd learn alot but, you have to take multiple classes..so, thats not an option for me. This site is the closest I've come to getting any help...but I still dont know why I can't get that mattress St. I have a book from Rowan that suggests piecing with the mattress or "back stitch". I can't find instructions on the back stitch anywhere, though I feel it may be easier for me.

Any help will be appreciated! My sis isnt having the baby till April, lol. I have loads of time to learn this!
fionat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
Welcome to KH!

Mattress stitch us the one usually used for seaming. Here are some links for seaming that might help in addition to the video. You may have to scroll down to find the one you need.
http://dawnprickett.blogspot.com/200...-tutorial.html
http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/mattress.html
http://www.knitpicks.com/content/ind...ttress-stitch/
http://www.learn2knit.co.uk/knitting/joining.php

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
fionat
Casting On

wow! thanks for replying so quickly I'll go check out the links you gave me.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Hi,

I have knit off and on for over 40 years and just recently learned the mattress stitch and notice that all instructions for it do not do it the same way. Anyway......the knitting guru who has taught me the most (other than new knowledge via internet) did all her sewing up a different way and taught me to do it that way. It is not the mattress stitch, but the result is similar. Recently I made a little baby sweater with narrow stripes and I couldn't get the mattress stitch to match them up very well and reverted to "Verla's Method". I showed it to one of my daughters and she had it in about 30 seconds, so maybe it is easier. :-)

Turn the piece on its side so that you are looking at the thickness of the work. To explain this...if your work was a sheet of paper you would be looking at the thickness of the one sheet of paper. Stick your threaded tapestry needle into that thin edge and look for something to grab onto. Some places there is just air and some places there are thick places that are kind of like knots. Stick your needle under one of those thick places, running the needle under it and back out on the other side of the thick place, back to where you started. Pull the yarn through. Then go to the other side and find a place like that on the other side and do the same thing. Keep working back and forth trying to match rows up as evenly as you can. It is not an exact science and is quite forgiving. Sometimes you need to let one side skip ahead a bit to even things up. Watch your end point to see if the two ends are staying even, if they aren't adjust your stitches so that they line up. Don't wait until you get to the end to do all the evening out in one place.

I hope I have explained this well enough for you to try it. If your result is not what you like, take it out carefully and try again. Oh, I forgot to mention, do this with the public side facing you so that you can see your result at all times. What you see is what you get.

Merigold
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
fionat
Casting On

Thank you Merigold! I looked at the websites I was given earlier, and its pretty much the same old mattress stitch explanation for 3 of them, but one site does show the backstitch too. Your explanation seems to be the easiest of all..lol, however, you'd think by now, after reading 500000000 different explanations of the mattress stitch, I could do it in my sleep. But nope. I think I'll need someone to literally walk me thru it in person.

I'm going to give your directions a try in the morning. If it works, thats all I'm going to need Thanks for your reply
Old 11-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
Kime
1st Leg of the Journey

You can also avoid most seams by knitting seamless and picking up stitiches to add sleeves, etc.
Kime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 AM   #7
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
You're welcome! I hope it is of some use. I wish I could sit next to you and show you. Let us know if anything works.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote