Old 11-29-2007, 04:20 AM   #1
ignora
Ribbing the Cuff

Can this be made for a child?
I've been searching for a sweater dress pattern for my daughter. She loves wearing dresses with tights. I've had good luck with the "long tank top" kind, but I also wanted a winter one with sleeves. I found this adult dress, which I love...

http://www.berroco.com/186/186_anna.html

... but not for me (I'm much too round). But, it would gorgeous on my dd. I'm wondering if it would be possible to make it smaller... around a child's size 4/5. And, if so, how would I accomplish that?

And if converting this pattern is almost impossible (or just a giant PITA), does anybody know of anything similar that's already designed for a child?

TIA!

~ In Memory of Aaron ~

ignora is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
bethany
Turning the Heel

how cute! I'm one to just wing it, so I imagine a long sweater. Go neck down in your DDs measurements and go as long as you want. I love that kids aren't as lumpy as I am, they could wear it well! Good luck!

OTN: Old Shale Lace Triangle
OTH: blanket
FO: 3 pairs Pocketbook slippers, Kickline socks, baby cloths, 007 monkey, market bag, Ocean socks, chemo cap, 12 Stitch-It! blankets, 9 Charity Oddball baby blankets

: Bethanyg

bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bethany For This Useful Post:
ignora (11-29-2007)
Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Could you do the long tank top kind and just pick up stitches for the sleeves?

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
ignora (11-29-2007)
Old 11-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
ignora
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by bethany View Post
how cute! I'm one to just wing it, so I imagine a long sweater. Go neck down in your DDs measurements and go as long as you want. I love that kids aren't as lumpy as I am, they could wear it well! Good luck!
Originally Posted by Abbily View Post
Could you do the long tank top kind and just pick up stitches for the sleeves?
Ok, now why didn't I think of these things. I could either find a basic sweater pattern that was similar in style, make it longer, and just use the stitch pattern on that adult dress. Or, use the tank dress pattern I have, use the stitch pattern on the adult dress, and add sleeves. It's a little work, but my kid is small so I don't think it wouldn't take forever. Thanks!

I'm still open to other suggestions and patterns, though... for anyone else who happens along this thread...

~ In Memory of Aaron ~

Old 11-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

My thoughts:

I'm sure that pattern comes with a gauge, the number of stitches [rows aren't so very important] per inch. You need to:

1) measure your daughter's waist/chest

2) figure out what size needles will give you the proper number of stitches per inch for you to match the pattern to the size of your dd. Do this by knitting a test swatch using the pattern stitch and various sizes of needles until you get one that gives you the gauge you need for your dd.

3) Have fun!!

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DorothyDot For This Useful Post:
ignora (11-29-2007)
Old 11-29-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
ignora
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by DorothyDot View Post
My thoughts:

I'm sure that pattern comes with a gauge, the number of stitches [rows aren't so very important] per inch. You need to:

1) measure your daughter's waist/chest

2) figure out what size needles will give you the proper number of stitches per inch for you to match the pattern to the size of your dd. Do this by knitting a test swatch using the pattern stitch and various sizes of needles until you get one that gives you the gauge you need for your dd.

3) Have fun!!

Dot
Hey, I might be able to manage that! I was just thinking (a dangerous thing, believe me) before I saw your post that maybe I should just try it with smaller needles. That's pretty much what you're saying.... right?

I think I need to go yarn shopping! They don't make the original yarn anymore, so I'll have to figure something else out.

Though, I suppose first I should finish the poncho I started many moons ago... maybe.

~ In Memory of Aaron ~

Old 11-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
HollyP
Working the Gusset

Have you checked Knitting Pattern Central ? I found few dresses under girls clothes. They might not be exactly what you are looking but the one's I saw were so cute.
BTW your daughter is precious!

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:56 AM   #8
ignora
Ribbing the Cuff

Yeah, I looked there. They do have some cute things... some of which I may knit up later. But, they're not really what I want to do at the moment. I think I have my heart set on something similar to the link I posted above. I may try to use a smaller needle size and see if I can get anything workable. I'm not sure yet how to handle the bust increases. I don't really need that part since she's only 4...

Oh, and thanks. I think she's pretty cute, too, if I do say so myself. I'm not biased or anything...

~ In Memory of Aaron ~