Old 11-28-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
Mazie
1st Leg of the Journey

Naturally Curly Hair
Are any of you Blessed/cursed with this hair issue?

I love my curly hair but everyone around me seems to have issues. Right now I have hair down below the 'Bra Line' but need to have it shortened. Dry & frizzie, I would love to have a mature cut with out going with the 'man style'.

I'm 65 years old and quite grey, they (all the people in my cirlcle of friends) all seem to think I need that 'little old man' hair cut. but I love my curls, My reply has always been "why have all these curls and cut them off ?" (If you've got it, why not Flaunt it, right?)

I found a site about curls but they all seem to be young chickies, wanting long locks, that is not my issue, I would like a midlength style that would flatter my face and thinning hair, all hair thins as we age, without being that short cut favoured by men of all ages and women of a 'certain age'.

If you have any ideas for a knitting knana who is not an 'old' woman I would love to hear from you.

As an after thought, Curly hair knits up in socks to a fair-thee-well. Looks good too. The 'silver' gives it a certain sheen.

Here's the link to the 'curls' site http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/index.php
Mazie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazie For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (11-29-2007), Lucy78green (11-30-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 PM   #2
jennylozano
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to jennylozano
I hope someone will come up for some ideas for a nice style for you, but I would vote for you to keep your curls!!! If you like your hair long, who cares what others think? I have curly hair too and have had it long, in layers, short, etc... When I was a girl my mom preferred to keep my hair short like a boy because it was hard for her to deal with my hair... I hated to have that short curly hair!!!! As soon as I turned 13 I decided to let it grow, inspite of my mom's complains. But, hey, it was my head, my hair, and I was 'old" enough to take care of my own "trouble" hair, huh?

FO: country jacket (Lion Brand pattern)
OTN: basic vest (Patons booklet pattern) with Vanna's choice yarn
FO: Raleigh Hills Cabled Hat
WIP: 2nd sock syndrome: I will NEVER again knit one sock first and then the other... from now on I'll only be using the 2 circulars to knit both at the same time
Tonsilectomy: 28 Dec. 2007
jennylozano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jennylozano For This Useful Post:
Mazie (11-29-2007)
Old 11-29-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
debb
Knitting the Flap

oh yes, but I'm currently embracing it. I found this book http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Lor...6308600&sr=8-1
and began using the deva products, which helped but not as much as finding the correct stylist. I found someone who had gotten certified as a deva trained stylist and basically she cuts your curls depending on how they curl and allows the natural shape to work.

What's funny is that when I was younger I actually thought this sort of method made sense, but most stylists are trained to cut straight ends so I figured it was a stupid theory.

Now it works (better), I keep it fairly short (above shoulders) and I pay less than I used to for one day of good hair.
debb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debb For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (11-29-2007), Mazie (11-29-2007)
Old 11-29-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
Silver
Instepping Out

I have long curly locks too and no one can convince me to cut them off. If you like your long curls, KEEP them!!

To take care of the dry and frizz, check out Jessicurl products. I SWEAR by them and can not live without at the very least my Confident Coils solution and Inspiraling Spray. Watch the videos and read the curly hair tips for some good info on how to treat your curls, regardless of which products you use. I do (almost) the full routine and that's how my curls stay bouncy, frizz free, and always drawing compliments.

Good luck! I hope this helps.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (11-29-2007), jennylozano (11-30-2007), Mazie (11-29-2007)
Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
cftwo
Working the Gusset

My mom has curly-ish almost-all-white hair (she always blows it dry, so I have no idea, really, how curly it is - I know my dad's is curlier than hers is) had is wearing her hair in a chin-length bob, which works with curly hair, too, as long as you don't have hair so curly you have the triangle shape thing.

Something like this http://hairstyles.hairboutique.com/GD/18337/ or this http://hairstyles.hairboutique.com/GD/9741/ might work.

At the moment I'm growing out my short curly (and slowly graying) style and I'm not really sure where I'll end up. I once had hair as long as yours, and loved the curl, but always was putting it up as there was just so much hair that it felt like I was wearing a blanket.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
Mazie (11-29-2007)
Old 11-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
debinoz
Turning the Heel

My hair is not so much curly as it is kinky. (My kids say it feels like doll hair) It's pretty thick, about 3" above my waist, and starting to get pretty gray. I always liked my hair short, but DH likes it long. I went to visit my Mom in the senior care center yesterday and an elderly gentleman came up behind me and started telling me how beautiful my hair was, how DH must be really proud of it and like to show me off..... And although it was sweet of him, I could only think that the man must not have had his eyes checked recently!
Mazie (11-29-2007)
Old 11-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

As a member of that site and of course a curly-girl myself, I too had long hair (bsl - bra strap length) for years and then I finally got sick of it and had it cut - by someone who knows how to cut curly hair. And I have yet to have a horrible haircut/style. I did the Ouidad cut and the Diva cut and have stuck with the Diva cut as my hairdresser is much cheaper than the Ouidad stylists. And yes, she is trained by Lorraine massey.

BUT that being said, I bought all the expensive hair products like Jessicurl (have a shelf full of her stuff) and I've bought the Ouidad products and while they did work, I just couldn't afford paying those prices which is why naturallycurly.com is so great.

Those women/girls on that site have and continue to try all the cheaper brands that cost next to nothing AND they are curly-girl friendly. I currently use LA looks gel, the yellow and the blue gel work great and I get no frizz. Plus a big bottle costs me $1.97 at Walmart!!! Can't go wrong with that!

I say just browse the site for more suggestions for products and if you want to cut your hair then cut it! If you like your length then don't cut it. Who gives a rats-*** what other people think. They are probably just jealous of your gorgeous locks.

That's all my mother ever does is listen to what others think and she's wrestled with her hair for years. She'll never learn.
Mazie (11-29-2007)
Old 11-29-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
sinistral_needler
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to sinistral_needler
The only reason why you should get your hair cut, is if you WANT to get it cut.

I have a face-framing layered cut that I just love. If you want to have a shorter cut, I would recommend something like that.

My hair has had a slight curl to it in the past but now it has gone back to not much more than a slight wave. It has always been so thick, so that is why I have decided to start keeping it shorter.

"Do whatever {Jesus} tells you to." ~ John 2:5
OTN: Nashua simple ribbed scarf, Seeded Cable Cardigan for Mom, washcloths, Rainy Day Scarf
OTH: baby bobble afghan, shells afghan
sinistral_needler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sinistral_needler For This Useful Post:
Mazie (11-29-2007)
Old 11-29-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
itsjustmeghan
Knitting the Flap

i'm a curly trying to grow mine out long, and i say KEEP IT LONG! it's your hair, and if you're happy with it, don't go in for the peer pressure! if you want to change it up a little add some layers or hwatever. i just know from my experiences, my curly hair is easier to care for when it's long compared to short. less styling products because the curls do their own thing when they get long.
i've been using jessicurl products recently (thank you silver!) and i love them. my hair is consistant, which is nice. i've also discovered natures gate aloe conditioner. my hair loves this stuff.

so do what you like! if you're happy, then keep it!

itsjustmeghan on Ravelry
Stitch It!! Podcast
itsjustmeghan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itsjustmeghan For This Useful Post:
Mazie (11-29-2007), Silver (11-29-2007)
Old 11-30-2007, 08:05 AM   #10
Nobones
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to Nobones
I'd kill for curly hair! So I say keep it! If you like it that is the most important thing. It would be a shame if you cut it all off and then really missed it.

My dress & costume making website-
www.gothwardian.co.uk

'Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work'. -Aristotle

Nobones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nobones For This Useful Post:
Mazie (11-30-2007)