Old 11-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
candicane
Working the Gusset

Moda Dea Washable Wool
Picked this up at Joanns last week (I bought 3 colors). It is 100% merino wool and machine washable! The ball band says size 8 needles, but I am using a size 6 on a sweater and it is making a nice dense (but not stiff) squishy fabric.

For Joann's it is a little pricey. $8 for 166 yards, but so far so worth it. I used a bunch of 50% off coupons and then and additional 20% my entire purchase.

Anyone else used it? Washed or worn it?

I checked on ravelry and one person had 10 knots in a ball! So far I have only had 1 knot 4 balls.

Using the Maize color on a sweater and it is a beautiful tannish yellow (which perfectly matches the yellow leather chair that I knit in).

candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-29-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Mm-m, sounds like a beautiful color yarn. Must be fun knitting with it.

I've been gun-shy of "washable" wool yarns, ever since knitting my first pair of socks ever for my father... only to have him toss them in the laundry and shrink them down to baby-size. Granted, they were pure wool and this was 40+ years ago.

Better to be safe than sorry. So whenever I use any blend that contains wool, I would seriously consider using Woolite and a sinkful of cold water. Set out to air-dry [I use the freezer top].

You could also maybe use cold water in the washing machine, but I'm not convinced the agitator won't tug and pull the item out of shape.

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
candicane
Working the Gusset

I have used a couple of other superwash wools and have been very pleased. Artyarns Supermerino washes up nice and soft. Brown Sheep superwash gets softer in the wash but is not as soft as the ArtYarns. Shibui sock also washes great in the machine. I am a big fan of machine washable wool (don't like acyrlics) for kids and other I am not convinced will "baby" their handknits.

I'm about 3 inches into the Gathered Pullover (Interweave Winter 2007) and the stitches look good. Not sure I am going to get it done in time for my sister for Christmas. Of course it would have helped if I had started earlier than last night. I am so in love with the pretty yellow.

Anyone know if a front loading washer is gentler on clothes since it does not have the agitator? I may start washing my knits at my parents' house.

candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote