Old 11-29-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
Linster
Ribbing the Cuff

Dirty yarn
I'm fairly new to knitting (getting back into it since I was young) and I purchased 6 skeins of, what I thought was, specialty yarn while on vacation. I was hoping to put together a cardigan set for my new grandson. I knit the back and one front section, but when I knit the second front section I noticed that the teal colored yard had the look of yellow tea stains on it. I had been knitting in the evening and the lighting wasn't enough for me to notice until the next day -- after I had bound off the finished second front section. I inspected the rest of my yarn. I had already set one skein aside because there were some dark, black fibers caught up in the pastel of the teal. I grabbed a skein which looked to have no defects, but a third of the way into a sleeve I ran across the same problem with black fiber in my yarn again. I don't think I have enough good yarn to finish the pattern. Does this happen to anyone else? And how often? I'm hesitant now to spend the extra money for expensive yarn if only a percentage of my projects turn out. The shop I purchased it from is seasonal and is closed until spring. I emailed the manufacturer but haven't heard back from them yet.
Linster is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Jeez, what a total bummer!

Usually if the yarn is simply dirty, as in I-dropped-it-in-the-mud dirty, you'd just work the project then wash it afterwards. But what you're describing is far worse.

Sounds like you already know your basic recourse.... return it to wherever you bought it from. If it's an honorable business, they should work with you.

And Never Buy That Brand of Yarn Again!! The stains sound like some kind of chemical damage [sunlight fading? bleach? whatever] but having strands of another color actually spun into the yarn itself is nothing short of inexcusable.

I've never really encountered anything that blatant; sometimes the less expensive yarns will have short strands of like straw or something in it that I just pull out [while uttering a word or so].

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
Mirl56
Instepping Out

It does sound like it could be chemical or sun damage or something like that. It could be the fault of the store rather then the manufacturer. I would hope that either would be willing to work with you.

who is the yarn manufacturer and name of the yarn? Perhaps someone else has had experience with the company in general or the specific yarn.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
shifio
Ribbing the Cuff

when i have complained to manufacturers they usually send a voucher for more yarn but it never covers the time spent making garment,
Old 11-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
Linster
Ribbing the Cuff

I agree that my only recourse is to complain. I sent an email two days ago to the manufacturer (since the store won't be open again for another six months!). I've heard nothing back from them at this time. It was Plymouth "Oh My" yarn. I don't think the store had anything to do with it since every skein seemed to have discoloration towards the end of the skein. From first glance they looked great. It was only after unrolling it did the color begin to change. And I worked the yarn straight from the skein - there was no need to rewind them or I would have notice before starting my project. Anyway -- thanks for the replies. I've already ordered a new pattern and yarn (from another maker) to begin again while I wait to hear from Plymouth.
Linster is offline   Reply With Quote