Old 11-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
katiebug
Casting On

Help! Any way to get a felted project to dry faster?
Hi,
I'm pretty much a newbie & this is my first post here. I just finished felting a bag that is a gift for a party tomorrow (I know, way, way too late, but with the holiday, etc. I got behind schedule). I'm pretty sure this is a lost cause, but is there anything I can do to safely get it dry faster?
Thanks!
katiebug is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
jheatherley
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm hardly an expert on felting, having done it only once. But according to the instructions I followed, the piece should be dried in the clothes dryer. That's what I did, and it worked beautifully. I'm happy with the piece.
jheatherley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
mwhite
Instepping Out

Haven't ever tried the dryer, won't it distort the bag? Course it probably wouldn't if the bag is smaller. If I want one to dry faster I roll it thoroughly inside a dry towel or two after I've rinsed it. Then stuff it good with plastic bags for shaping and turn it every couple of hours... the water tends to drain and evaporate faster and bag usually dries within 24 hours. I've heard that you can stuff it and use a hair dryer to help it dry faster. Mary
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
cdjack
Turning the Heel

Don't put it in the dryer! If you do, then the wonky way it is shaped when it comes out of the dryer is the bag's shape.
I've felted alot. After the felted item comes out of the rinse cycle, I take it out and shape it.
Depending on the shape of your bag, either stuff it with grocery bags or put a box in there that is close to the shape you are going for.
If I do this at night (evening), the bag is usually done by the next morning. You can take a hair dryer to a stubborn spot that doesn't want to dry.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
Do what cdjack said, and make sure you leave the item to dry in a room with good air circulation. You can also place it next to your air vents or aim a fan at it.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote