Old 11-30-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Simone
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Simone Send a message via Yahoo to Simone Send a message via Skype™ to Simone
**Circular Needles and Knitting in the Round??**
Hi All

I have a few questions here that I'm sure you can answer for me! When do you knit in the round? When you have a lot of cast on's and the garment is going to be heavy? What are the best circ needles, in your opinion? DH was asking me about birthday/christmas present and I'm not too sure about the choices out there. I have heard of KnitPicks and Susan Bates interchangables. What are your opinions?

Thanks

OTN: Julie H. Levy GAAA Square And Slouchy Beret
Future Project: GAAA
Finished: Slippers, Purse, Baby Blanket, Wrist Warmers, Hat, Scarf, Tri-colored scarf, Cowl/Hood, Hat.

Simone is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Silver
Instepping Out

You would knit something "in the round" when you want a completed circle or tube, such as a sleeve, hat, sock or body of a sweater. You would be knitting it in a continuous circle, around and around.

However, you can use circular needles to knit flat pieces too, like a scarf or blanket. You would just turn your work when you come to the end, just like you do on straight needles.

I knit on circulars almost exclusively and I have two sets of Knit Picks Options. I believe Options are the majority favorite as they're an exceptional needle at a very reasonable price. There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum with all the info you might ever need about various interchangeable sets.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
Simone (11-30-2007)
Old 11-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #3
cheley
Working the Gusset

Hi Silver...on the subject of "knitting in the round", yesterday I posted a question "how to cast off" in the round..My problem was I was using a 16"circ, when I tried to "cast off" I ran out of cord length...I also needed to dec...I was trying to make a headband. So, I trsf to dpn's (nightmare) to try and dec,,then bo'd...The headband turned out to fit a "very large head" The headband is now a shrug for my neice ( 5years old)!!! Question: How do you "cast off" in the round using small circs? And dec as well....Thanks for you in put...Cheley

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Silver
Instepping Out

Cheley, when casting off on circulars, you can pull out a loop of the cable so that you have room to move the stitches around. Most of the stitches will be on the left needle, and only one on the right needle. In between the two groups of stitches, that's where you can pull out the loop of cable. I hope this makes sense.. probably not though.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by cheley View Post
Hi Silver...on the subject of "knitting in the round", yesterday I posted a question "how to cast off" in the round..My problem was I was using a 16"circ, when I tried to "cast off" I ran out of cord length...I also needed to dec...I was trying to make a headband. So, I trsf to dpn's (nightmare) to try and dec,,then bo'd...The headband turned out to fit a "very large head" The headband is now a shrug for my neice ( 5years old)!!! Question: How do you "cast off" in the round using small circs? And dec as well....Thanks for you in put...Cheley
You can add your headband to mine and my dd's collection---I made "Gargantua Hat" and she has made "Gargantua Slipper Sock" to go with it. We comfort one another with the fact that we learned so much about needle sizes and decreasing in our projects that are now clothing a giant teddy bear!
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Cheley, when casting off on circulars, you can pull out a loop of the cable so that you have room to move the stitches around. Most of the stitches will be on the left needle, and only one on the right needle. In between the two groups of stitches, that's where you can pull out the loop of cable. I hope this makes sense.. probably not though.
Yea I'm diggin it!!!! Thanks sooo much!!!

Old 11-30-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Lisa R. View Post
You can add your headband to mine and my dd's collection---I made "Gargantua Hat" and she has made "Gargantua Slipper Sock" to go with it. We comfort one another with the fact that we learned so much about needle sizes and decreasing in our projects that are now clothing a giant teddy bear!
Teddy Bear..no way, how bout a Very large sabertooth tiger.....