Old 11-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
Luciew
Casting On

argh, stitches slipped off the needle!
Hi everyone,

While cabling last night my hand slipped and I pulled the six or so stitches I'd just knitted off the needle. I've tried to get them back on but something is amiss. In the past I've just inserted a needle a few rows below and unravelled to it, but as this pattern is a bit more complicated with cabling, purls and knit stitches in a row I'm worried I won't do it correctly. I can count back down to a row which is just purl and knit, but I find it hard to work out where to insert the needle in a purl stitch. Is there an easier way of getting them back on?!

Also, as it's a fairly complicated pattern (for me!) should I give a lifeline a go?

Thanks everyone
Luciew is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
Kime
1st Leg of the Journey

When this happens to me, or if I find I have an error in a past row, I use a crochet hook to work each stitch back up and get it back on the needles. With cables it is a pain to do if there is a cross and you have to work it back up but it can be done if you look carefully at the work. Put the stitches on a cable needle or double pointed needle while you work up the other side, just as you would if you were knitting a cable the usual way with a cable needle. You may need to pull out a row or two of just your 6 stitches and work them back up. It might take you a while especially at first, but you will have things like this happen again and if you practice you will improve and it will be faster than unravelling a few rows. Usually when I come around to the stitches again I have some of them seated backwards so that I have to knit or purl into the back of the stitch, so you need to look at them carefully so see how they are seated.

You can also keep all the other dropped stitches except the one you are working with on a cable or double pointed needle so you don't pull them out more while you are working.

Last edited by Kime : 11-30-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Kime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kime For This Useful Post:
Luciew (12-01-2007)
Old 11-30-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Luciew
Casting On

Thank you Kime...that definitely sounds less time consuming, and worth learning like you say. I'll have a good look at it when I get home.
Thanks
Old 12-01-2007, 12:35 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Also, when you slip stitches back onto the needle, they often are twisted. If it feels 'wrong' to knit or purl a stitch--too tight--just reverse how the loop is sitting on the left tip. You'll know when it feels right.

I usually just scoop the stitches onto the needle any old way, and adjust the twisted ones as I work the next round.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
boo1 (12-03-2007), Luciew (12-01-2007)
Old 12-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
nstssj
Ribbing the Cuff

Taking the long way around...if using the crochet hook doesn't seem to be working, or if too many stitches have dropped off, I usually put those stitches on a stitch holder and then "un-knit" back to the row they're correctly on. It is time-consuming, but I figure no more so than frogging and re-knitting the whole thing (which, for me, would be the only other option.)

Nostromowww.nastassjamills.blogspot.com
nstssj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nstssj For This Useful Post:
Luciew (12-01-2007)
Old 12-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Luciew
Casting On

Thanks everyone...I'm about to tackle it now....