Old 11-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
mollyawesome
Casting On

Mistake in single crochet... big deal?
Hey everyone,

I've got a quick question. I've been crocheting for about a month now, mostly self-taught from the Internet. I am exactly half way through an afghan for a family member when I started to notice something. It didn't quite make sense to me that double crochets went through an entire stitch, while single crochets only went through the front loops,...

Of course, that's when I did a bit of sleuthing and realized I'd been doing my single crochets wrong. The instructions I had read for "how to single crochet" only pertained to doing the stitch in the initial chain, and not in other stitches. I haven't notice a huge difference in how the stitches look, but my biggest concern is on the edges of the afghan. I kept thinking to myself, "Boy, it would not take very much to break this yarn here if it were stretched too much..."

My question is, do you think it makes a difference? There's no way I could bring myself to start the whole thing over, but I would feel better continuing it if I knew that I didn't have much to worry about. Have a made a huge mistake by doing front loop stitches (are the stitches weaker, etc.) or should I be fine?

I trust all of your input, this forum has been quite invaluable. Thanks!
mollyawesome is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
cristeen
1st Leg of the Journey

Nah. It took me a long time to realize that you should be stitching through both strands. I have many a project that is stitched through front loop only. I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
cristeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

Crocheting through the front loop or back loop is actually a variation of the stitch itself. So, you were adding your own design feature to it.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
PamJ
Knitting the Flap

I bet it's a pretty afghan. Like everyone said, it will be fine! If you have any concern about the edges being sturdy, just go around the whole blanket with sc when you are done. This is a nice finishing touch for most patterns and usually makes the side edges look better. Keep the stitches a bit loose.
PamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PamJ For This Useful Post:
mollyawesome (12-02-2007)
Old 12-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
mollyawesome
Casting On

Haha, great, thanks! Good to know I'm being so creative on my own... And PamJ, that's a great idea about the border!
mollyawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Yep, I had the same "duh!" moment *years* after I started crocheting. Repeated flo rown look like ribbing, but other than that, no problem. Like Yarnlady said...congratulations on the neat design feature :D