Old 12-01-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Need pattern recommendation--afghan/throw
My 10yod and I want to knit an afghan together. We'd like something that could be done in separate pieces and put together so we could knit at the same time, rather than a pattern where I would knit awhile and the give her a turn.

Any ideas???
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
knitgal
Working the Gusset

There are lots on knitting pattern central, found here. A suggestion might be something like this where you can each knit some squares and then piece them together.
I would suggest that each of you knit a gauge sqaure first though, to make sure you're squares will be somewhat even. Then you can adjust needle size as needed.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
Lisa R. (12-01-2007)
Old 12-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Or... you could select a yarn weight [worsted/sports?] and the size of needles that would get you both the same gauge. Then each pick your favorite colors and... go to a knitting stitches book and pick out your favorite stitch: lacey? Cable? K/P ribbs?

Now knit a long panel, say 6' or more, using that new stitch. Make sure you have each panel the same length so you can and match and sew them up. Each panel can be a different stitch and a different color.

I did one like that for my mother and she has it out to this day!

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:24 AM   #4
ignora
Ribbing the Cuff

I think this one is gorgeous!

http://www.knitty.com/issuefall06/PATTlizardridge.html

I'm not sure what your dd's skill level is, though. This one is a bit above beginner level, but not really hard I don't think.

~ In Memory of Aaron ~

ignora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
My 12 yr old son and I are working on the United States dishcloths. The woman who wrote the patterns, pieced them all together to make an awesome flag afghan made from all of the US states and some star dishcloths. It's so easy. Each piece knits up fairly quickly and really helps your little one with alternating knit and purl stitches in a piece. Plus, since each dishcloth is separate, it doesn't seem so overwhelming. It's also a good lesson in the US states.

Here's the link to the free patterns:

http://www.knittingknonsense.com/people_places.html

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
ignora
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by knitpurlgurl View Post
My 12 yr old son and I are working on the United States dishcloths. The woman who wrote the patterns, pieced them all together to make an awesome flag afghan made from all of the US states and some star dishcloths. It's so easy. Each piece knits up fairly quickly and really helps your little one with alternating knit and purl stitches in a piece. Plus, since each dishcloth is separate, it doesn't seem so overwhelming. It's also a good lesson in the US states.
That's neat... and educational, too! I may do that one with my dd once she's old enough to teach to knit...

~ In Memory of Aaron ~

ignora is offline   Reply With Quote