Old 12-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
itsjustmeghan
Knitting the Flap

double treadle vs single treadle
I have a question for you wheel owners. i'm looking into buying a wheel, possibly a Lendrum. I have a limited budget, but i wanted to ask.
what is the big difference between a single treadle vs a double treadle? is a double worth the extra money? can you spin just as well with a single treadle?

let me know your thoughts!

itsjustmeghan on Ravelry
Stitch It!! Podcast
itsjustmeghan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Kime
1st Leg of the Journey

I had a single treadle, and it was just fine.
Kime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
AngMac
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to AngMac
I think it really depends on what you feel comfortable with. I just bought the Lendrum DT Complete and absolutely love it. I used a few singles and I found that I preferred the double. I felt it gave me more control over starting and stopping the wheel and helped me to set a good pace when spinning.

The best advice I got when I was buying my wheel was to go and try out a few. By trying them out you will find the right one that feels comfortable with you.

AngMac on Ravelry

OTN:Manos Blanket, Scarf, Socks, Poinsettia Wreath and Koolhaas Hat.
Awaiting Finishing:Hedwig the Owl and a Hedgehog
FO:My So Called Scarf
AngMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
hocns
1st Leg of the Journey

I have an Ashford traditional, which is a single treadle. My next wheel will be a double treadle, as I am getting older, and I think the double treadle will put less stress on my hip. Right now, my right hip can get pretty sore after a few hours of spinning. Unless you're around 20, I suggest going for a double treadle right away, as a wheel should be a lifetime acquisition.
hocns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

All my treadle wheels are single except for the Ashford Traveller. My husband bought that one for me. He followed the advice of Susan (Susan's Fiber Shop).

When I started using it, I only used one treadle, then played with using both treadles.

I now use the Traveller more than the wheels with a single treadle. I do find (now) I have more control with it.

I think the bigger question is one drive band (Scotch tension) or two!!

That's why I love my Traveller, it can be either a single or double band drive

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
callmesusan
Turning the Heel

wheel
I'm no expert because I am a beginner myself. I didn't try different wheels before I bought mine because I didn't spin and figured, how do I know what feels right? By watching others spin, I intuitively liked the rhythm of two feet moving. I thought spinning would be a mind-body experience, and I liked the idea of both my feet moving in rhythm--it is calming. (Plus, I'm not getting any younger and I wanted to distribute the work!) Anyhoo, I bought a Kromski Minstrel because it has two treadles, would fit in my car easily, and is real pretty to look at. It can be used as a double drive or single drive with the Scotch tension brake. I'm getting some super-pretty spun wool outta her! Good luck. P.S. You might want to rent Spinning Wool--Basics and Beyond from Smartflix. I just got a copy in the mail and it is chock full of information on the wheel itself.
callmesusan is offline   Reply With Quote