Old 12-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
nannaknits
Knitting the Flap

Baby bootie question
Help Please. I am trying to knit a pair of baby booties. I have knitted the cuff. Then to make the rest of the pattern it says:
To make foot: K24. Turn. K12 Turn. Working on center 12 sts. Knit 23 rows garter stitch.
Next row: Pick up and knit 12 sts. along side of toe flap. Knit remaining 12 sts.
Next row: K36. Pick up and knit 12 sts. along other side of toe flap. Knit remaining 12 sts. (60 sts on needle). Knit 16 rows Garter St.
There is more of the pattern but I can understand that so I won't clog up the msg with that.
I understand to Knit the 12 sts. for 23 garter stitch rows. I even understand how to pick up and knit the 12 sts along side of toe flap. Where I am running into problems is when I knit back across the 36 sts and I go to pick up the 12 sts on the other side of toe flap, my seam is now showing on the outside of the bootie, not on the inside like on the first side of the bootie. I have even added a row of garter sts. to see if maybe I was starting on the wrong side of the toe flap but I got the same thing. One side has the seam on the inside and one side has the seam on the outside after picking up stitches. How do I correct this?
nannaknits is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
It sounds like you're picking up the stitches on the wrong side of the bootie top. Pick them up so that your needle is going down through the top of the bootie.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
nannaknits (12-02-2007)
Old 12-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
nannaknits
Knitting the Flap

Hi Ingrid. I am still having trouble picking up the stitches on the one side of my bootie instep. When I go across the first side I can pick the stitches up from the top of the instep. But then I am instructed to complete the row, turn and when I get to the other side of the instep pick up 12 more stitches. I now have the wrong side facing me and to pick the stitches up from the top side of the instep I have to a Houdini because now the top side is on the wrong side. How do I do this? The pattern says nothing about breaking the yarn and starting from the very end of the row and work across, so apparently there is a way to do this and I am not getting it. Help anyone?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Hmmm. I see what you mean. The wrong side is facing, and you have to pick up stitches. What if you flipped your work up so that you can see the right side. Then you can hold the edge with your left hand and pick up stitches through the top.

Another way would be to pick up stitches with a dpn from the top and then slip them to your main needle.

Or you can bring the tip of your needle to the back of the piece and pick up stitches purlwise. Keep the yarn in the front, and bring the needle through the back and pick them up as if you were purling.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:09 AM   #5
nannaknits
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try the purling and see if that is any easier. I appreciate your help.