Old 12-03-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
bip
Turning the Heel

Your Sage Color Advice Requested
I did something unfortunate and I'm hoping y'all can help me minimize my goof.

A year or two ago I made a sweater for my husband from Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky when. He chose the yarn based on softness of the skein, but didn't realize how itchy the mohair knit up would be. He is princess and the pea anyway, so he just couldn't wear it, not even over a long sleeved shirt (I replaced it with a cashmere sweater, lucky DH! It was bargain cashmere, but REALLY soft anyway).

Here is the issue: I finally got around to frogging the sweater and chose a pattern for myself. I'm not terribly sensitive and am not worried about being itched. I purposely chose a pattern for a loose sweater with a big loose neck. What I didn't fully realize until I was several inches into the sweater, and liking it quite a bit, was that my yarn substitution had a major problem. Yes, I got the gauge with the Lamb's Pride Bulky, but the original pattern called for the yarn to be double stranded. This wouldn't be a problem except that the NECK is not double stranded. Kind of a problem since I'm using bulky...

The question is: Should I try to get the Lamb's Pride worsted in the same color? Or is the dyelot issue going to kill it? In that case, should I go with a contrast color?

I'm not even sure what color I was using...bought it so long ago I don't have the wrappers. I tried taking pictures, but I wasn't sure they were very true. I think it is 03 Grey Heather. Suggestions on a contrast color? Or maybe dyelot issues won't be a huge issue since the collar is big and floppy? (I could only include the collar or it would go over the size limits).
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobius collar sweater.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	45558  
bip is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
Kime
1st Leg of the Journey

You might think about using a lighter or darker grey, not heathered, for a slight contrast. That way it should look like you planned it that way.
Kime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kime For This Useful Post:
bip (12-03-2007)
Old 12-03-2007, 12:31 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
I don't think you'll run into a real dyelot problem with a heather, especially gray.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
bip (12-03-2007)
Old 12-03-2007, 12:31 AM   #4
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

How about doing the collar in a coordinating color in dk weight yarn with some sort of halo (like mohair or angora)? Like for that sweater, a lighter purple? I think trying to match the color exactly from the bulky to the worsted will be difficult. It looks like the design, though, does require a lighter weight for the collar to get the supple drape.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwedzi For This Useful Post:
bip (12-03-2007)
Old 12-03-2007, 12:36 AM   #5
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I don't really know the answer, but I wanted to share that there are several places online to resize pictures. I use this one.

And that is a lovely sweater! I love the collar!
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa R. For This Useful Post:
bip (12-03-2007)
Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
bip
Turning the Heel

Hummm, good suggestions. I'll have to mull them over a bit to decide. I guess the best thing to do is to take the sweater to LYS and see what I can come up with.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I have a silly suggestion. If you have to go with a different shade/color for the collar, work some of that same new shade/color into the body or sleeves of the work so it looks like part of the design.

Perhaps use it for the sleeve and body ribbing as a complementary finishing?

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
bip (12-03-2007)
Old 12-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
bip
Turning the Heel

I don't think that's a silly suggestion at all! I have been tossing ideas around in my mind about how I might use the contrast color as an accent at the sleeve cuffs and bottom edge. Or maybe a little embroidered embellishment somewhere? I guess it depends on what color/yarn I end up going with.