Old 12-03-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
tomato plant question
okay, be warned first i have a brown thumb and like zero gardening experience.

i planted a tomato plant like 2 weeks ago, it was on that came in like a peat pot and you just ripped the bottom off and planted the whole thing. to my great surprise, when i got home from housesitting today, it was HUGE and it looks like little buds or something were starting already.

i had to move the tie for the stake because it grew so much, but when doing that, i inadvertently broke the big new blossomey part of the stem right the heck off (trying to undo damp Sugar 'n Cream cotton ) like the top part from the main stem and it had two branches off of it..... i am heartbroken. will that grow back or is my little plant done for?

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
CountryKitty
Knitting the Flap

Don't panic Sean, tomatos are great survivors.

Are there any leaves below the break? If so, just keep caring for it. It'll grow a branch from the point at which the leaf grows from the trunk--the branch will become the new top. In fact, vining (indeterminate) tomatos will grow a branch at every leaf junction--If not staked or grown up a fence or trellis they will become a tangled mass of sprawling vines. (My vines are grown on a 4 1/2' fence, and the vines often keep growing to the point that they will drape over the back of the fence all the way back to the ground by Fall.)

If the break is below the leaves, it likely will die...but keep caring for it just in case. They're tough plants.

What variety is it?
boyforpele13 (12-03-2007)
Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Tomatoes tend to be pretty hardy so I would give it a chance. As an aside - personally I never move my ties, just add new ones. Also, you can try rooting the part that broke in some nice sandy soil that you can keep well watered. I have done this several times after the dogs tear through the garden breaking off my tomatoes and peppers as they go.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vaknitter For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I just want to point out that we had our first freezing snow. The ground is frozen solid and it was 17 degrees last night.

This is a cruel, cruel question.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
bethany
Turning the Heel

also, try to root the part that broke off! Put it in some water, no leaves in there. Just the stem. Change the water every other day or so and watch to see if roots grow off the stem. Then transplant it into soil for 2 plants!

OTN: Old Shale Lace Triangle
OTH: blanket
FO: 3 pairs Pocketbook slippers, Kickline socks, baby cloths, 007 monkey, market bag, Ocean socks, chemo cap, 12 Stitch-It! blankets, 9 Charity Oddball baby blankets

: Bethanyg

bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bethany For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Topping a tomato plant (while not exactly the way it's supposed to be done ) won't kill the plant. It will continue to grow and be more bushy than it would have otherwise. Many people top them on purpose.

The tomato is basically a weed and you know how hard those are to kill.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Yummmm, home grown tomatos!
*runs off to rob BoyForPele's tomato plants......
Old 12-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
thanks everyone!!!! there are leaves below the break, essentially i just cut off all the beautiful new growth in the last 2 weeks that i was so tickled over

i didn't think of trying to root it!!! i may be too late though, i threw it in the nearby garbage in a mini tantrum when it happened, but i will check when i get home.

i was trying so hard too!!!! i've been pruning new growth to allow for bushing and it was looking SOOOOO nice... meh.

ingrid, it got down to a FRIGID 68 last night, but is supposed to get down to 51 tonight!!!! (whips out the woolens )

as for the type of tomato, i can't remember already.... i might have stuck the little card in there, but i am not sure, i will check later and get back to you. i know it was some kind of cherry tomato and i got it from home depot. they had a lovely display of all these little plants, veggies, and herbs that came in these peat pots for like $3. i got some chamomile as well and based on those 2 and a couple weeks passing, i can say i'm very pleased with that method so far. it said there would be "hundreds" of tomatoes.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
Old 12-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Be on the lookout for tomato worms (seriously). They're these big, green honkers that will eat your plants in an afternoon. They aren't actually a worm but a caterpillar, they're icky! You have to pick them off with your bare hands because you can't spray chemicals on your 'maters. Have fun.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

if i were going to pick off caterpillars (ew), what would i do with them once picked off? i couldn't possibly kill them, so where could i put them that they might stay away from my plants? i read about a bacteria called Bacilla thuringiensis that you can use that is safe for food plants, but that paralyzes their digestive system and they die of starvation which could take days... not willing to do that either....

it says that the moths these caterpillars turn into can be good for the ecosystem, so i think the best solution for me is to have my tomatos be caterpillar food. thanks for warning me, though, because i would've TOTALLY freaked out.