Old 12-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
Shakit6909
Casting On

Newbie - LB Homespun question.
So, I'm new to knitting and I'm doing a very basic Garter stitch scarf using LB Homespun yarn. I've begun to notice that after a few rows, the leading yarn from the skein seems to be bunching up as if it is partially twisted. I can slide it down, but after a few rows, the bunching gets to be too much and I have to clip it and retie the yarn back, but where it was bunched up, the yarn becomes unraveled causing me to lose about 6-12inches of yarn each time. Is there a solution to this bunching, or is this normal for this particular yarn?

Thank in advance for the help.

-Shakit
Shakit6909 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
tilllie
Knitting the Flap

I have this happen occasionally, not sure why. And not with any specific yarn. Instead of cutting the yarn let go of your knitting with all stitches on one needle, hold the skein of yarn up and your knitting will turn around rewinding the yarn without the tangle. It is hard to explain so I hope that makes sense! I do the same thing with phone cords when they are twisted back on themselves. Hope that helps and welcome to the wacky wonderful world of knitting!!
tilllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
Shakit6909
Casting On

Thanks for the quick response TIilllie. I actually tried that but I think because it bunches up as if it has become partially unravelled but twisted. It's hard to explain. Maybe I'll take a pic and upload it. I had the twisting happen when I was using another yarn, but I did the upsidedown thing before and it worked beautifully. It just doesn't seem to work with the Homespun yarns.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
Marria
Working the Gusset

I've noticed that with Homespun sometimes. It seems to vary from one skein to the next. It seems like sometimes it's bound a little more loosely with the binder thread on some skeins. It could also be a trait of boucle yarn in general, but I'm not sure because I usually use just smooth yarns. But I am willing to bet that it's the construction of the yarn that is making it so you can't unbunch it.

I have noticed that knitting too tightly can make it worse with Homespun. I switched from 10 1/2 to 11 needles on a scarf that I was making and the bunching up problem quit.

Also, are you pulling from the center part of the skein? I've noticed that sometimes they come out of the center really tight. I think that when you're pulling it out, it can stretch the yarn and then it bunches back up on itself. So you might try winding it into a couple of smaller balls. I agree with Tillie you don't want to cut and then tie your yarn together, not only because of that yarns trait to "dissolve" when you cut it, but also because knots will create weak spots in your knitting and can also poke through to the sides where you don't want them to show. If you absolutely have to cut the yarn, try cutting out the offending section, tie a knot at each cut end (which will help to prevent the yarn from unraveling). Knit with both the old end and new end together for a few stitches and then drop the old end. Later you will need to darn in the ends, and you will have to cut the knots off the dangling ends, but in the meantime, they won't fall apart.

If it's really truly frustrating you, though, but you want a nice thick yarn, Lion Brand makes some other yarns with gorgeous colors that knit up quickly--like Woolease Chunky and Woolease Thick and Quick.

Sorry for the novel!

Hope it helps though.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marria For This Useful Post:
Shakit6909 (12-23-2008)
Old 12-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
Shakit6909
Casting On

Originally Posted by Marria View Post
I have noticed that knitting too tightly can make it worse with Homespun. I switched from 10 1/2 to 11 needles on a scarf that I was making and the bunching up problem quit.
Marria,

Thanks so much for the help. Is it possible that it could be due to using the wrong size needle? I'm using a US 8 aluminum needle to make a scarf since it happens to be the only size that came in my "teach me to knit" kit. I think I will look into the circular needles everyone is talking about and be sure to get a bigger size.

Originally Posted by Marria View Post
Also, are you pulling from the center part of the skein? I've noticed that sometimes they come out of the center really tight. I think that when you're pulling it out, it can stretch the yarn and then it bunches back up on itself.
I actually am using the outside of the skein but have not converted it to a ball as of yet. I am thinking of making another scarf in the same material, but with a different color and wanted to avoid the problem when I start that project.

Thanks for all the help
Old 12-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's normal for Homespun. What helps is to keep a loose tension so it doesn't bunch up, and definietly use larger needles, 11s work pretty well.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Shakit6909 (12-23-2008)
Old 12-23-2008, 12:49 AM   #7
AAngels
1st Leg of the Journey

I have had that happen a lot with HS yarn. I usually wind balls first before I knit, even if it pulls smoothly at the beginning,

Hope this helps

Kathy
AAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I just knit it out of the skein; doesn't seem to matter which end you start from. I'd think that winding it in a ball would increase the bunching problem.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #9
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
Increasing your needle size should help. I think 8's are pretty small for Homespun.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WandaT For This Useful Post:
Marria (12-25-2008), Mirl56 (12-30-2008), Shakit6909 (12-23-2008)
Old 12-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #10
Marria
Working the Gusset

Wanda is absolutely right--size 8s are way too small for that stuff. Get some 10 1/2s or 11s and I bet you'll be good to go!

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote