Old 03-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
stacyk9
Knitting the Flap

Need To Find A New Home For Pets...Need Advice!
It has become very apparent that our animals must go! We have 2 cats and a dog and they are destroying our house. I'm pretty sure it's a jealousy thing since we don't have the time to spend with them like we did before DS came into our lives. They have just decided to make our entire house their toilet!! We are currently upgrading a few items in our house, i.e. carpet, flooring, to get it ready to sell and they are ruining it all! Plus, it would just break my heart to buy a new home and have it ruined almost immediately. Also, I do feel really bad that we don't have enough time to spend with them like we used to. It's not fair to them. They should be in a home where someone has time to be with them and play with them. I absolutely refuse to send them to the Humane Society because they are older animals and I know they rarely get adopted and I couldn't bear the thought of them being euthanized. We do have a no-kill shelter not far from here for cats, so I'm pretty sure that's where I will take them, but I don't know what to do with our dog. He is a very spunky Pomeranian with the sweetest heart, although he does not like children, which is another reason why we can't keep him. He can get very defensive if DS tries to play with him. Anyway, do you have any suggestions on where I should start on finding our dear doggy a new home?

otn:
Garter Stitch Scarf
Palindrome Hat
Knitted Ornament Covers

fo's:
Bookmark
Basic hat
Lapghan
Golf Club Covers
Knitted Ornament Covers
Mother's Day Slippers
Twisted Stitch Scarf
Calorimetry
Oh so Soft Baby Blanket

Last edited by stacyk9 : 03-31-2008 at 03:37 PM.
stacyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I'm sorry you have to get rid of them...you might try the paper or we have a weekly advertiser that goes out...it has pet listings in there...maybe a local radio station too...I know ours has a set time in the evenings where it will let you call in and do that...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
stacyk9 (03-31-2008)
Old 03-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
I would highly suggest, however, if you do put an ad out in a paper, please, for the safety of the animals, do not list them as free.

When I was in high school, I wrote for our school newspaper and I wrote a story opposing dissection. I had to do a ton, and I mean a ton of research and I found out that there are many Class B dealers who take pets they see roaming around, regardless if they have tags, and/or, they scour the papers looking for free animals to obtain for the sole purpose of supplying companies with animals to dissect. Especially cats.

I can't say how common this is now as I wrote that article over 10 years ago, however, it is (or at least was) a frightening reality.

Maybe ask around at work, or close friends or relatives to see if they know anyone trustworthy who would be willing to adopt your animals. If nothing else, I would recommend a no kill shelter.

I'm sorry you have to get rid of your pets, and, I do completely understand the frustration of them thinking the whole house is a toilet...That's the main reason I've torn up most of the carpeting in our house.

Good luck, I hope you can find them a wonderful home!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saracidaltendencies For This Useful Post:
stacyk9 (03-31-2008)
Old 03-31-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
cftwo
Working the Gusset

Ask your vet, or see if you can put an ad up there. Look for Pomeranian rescue organizations in your area. Let us know where you live and we'll see if one of us knows someone looking for a dog.

I'm sorry you have to give up your pets.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
stacyk9 (03-31-2008)
Old 03-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
figaro
Working the Gusset

I am so sorry that you have to make a decision like this. I understand though, we have a large dog (75 lbs) and there have been quite a few times that I thought it would be better if we found a new home for him, one that would have the time and energy for him. But him being a large dog and I have not found a no kill shelter in my area, he is still with us. (and I am trying to walk him more too!)

I have seen a lot of vet office's where people put up signs with lost pets and finding a pet a new home, that might be a good place to start. At least if they get your info from there, you know that they have pets and they take them to the vet so you know they take care of your pets. Maybe check with some pet boarding, they might know of someone who takes in animals and fosters them until a good home is found? Try to think of people who work with pets (but not trainers-they might try and get you into their program and if you don't have the time or money they might make you feel guilty?) and check with them, see if they know of someone who might be able to help you out.

Good luck!

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to figaro For This Useful Post:
stacyk9 (03-31-2008)
Old 03-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
I would highly suggest, however, if you do put an ad out in a paper, please, for the safety of the animals, do not list them as free.
I agree and would ask for references too...we are looking through basset rescues right now...they have applications to fill out and they call your references and your vet...to make sure the dog is going to a safe home...going through family and friends is a great idea too

eta: you may look and see if you can find a Pomeranian rescue...like the basset rescues...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
stacyk9 (03-31-2008)
Old 03-31-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
HollyP
Working the Gusset

Hi. I know how difficult all of this must be for you ! If I had to get rid of my dog the first place I would look for help would be family and friends. Second place( and possibly a better choice) I would go to is a breed specific rescue group. I googled Pomeranian rescue and came up with this
I have volunteered with a local Labrador rescue group and have been nothing but impressed. The Lab rescue team throughly investigated the families or individual who would be adopting. The people who run the rescues are doing it for the love of the breed of dog.

Good luck with everything!

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog

Last edited by HollyP : 03-31-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: spelling
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HollyP For This Useful Post:
stacyk9 (03-31-2008)
Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Oh my dear God I can't even fathom the thought of giving my animals away.

Please DON'T put an ad in the newspapers!!!!! Many people use animals for experimental purposes and they may end up living the rest of their lives in a cage having blood taken from them, or worse, until they die. Give them to your friends or someone you can trust who loves animals. If you don't have that avenue then take them to the animal shelter. It's better to be taken care of by people you know love animals and will try to adopt them out rather than make them 'guinea pigs' for the remainder of their little lives.
stacyk9 (03-31-2008)
Old 03-31-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
stacyk9
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for all the great advice. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I used to groom dogs and the lady I worked for truely had a deep love for all the dogs and cats that came in and she is a true advocate when it comes to finding animals great homes.

I don't think I would/could advertise in the paper. Too many creepos out there and I wouldn't know if they would take care of them or not!

I rechecked the no-kill shelter and it says although they are mostly a cat sanctuary, they are taking a few dogs. Maybe since Elmo is tiny, they would consider it.

This is going to be a pretty hard thing for me to do! I love my animals as if they are part of the family, but the stress of it all is just getting to be too much. I know I would feel a whole lot better knowing they were going somewhere they would be taken care of.

otn:
Garter Stitch Scarf
Palindrome Hat
Knitted Ornament Covers

fo's:
Bookmark
Basic hat
Lapghan
Golf Club Covers
Knitted Ornament Covers
Mother's Day Slippers
Twisted Stitch Scarf
Calorimetry
Oh so Soft Baby Blanket
stacyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
stacyk9
Knitting the Flap

HollyP - Thank you for taking the time to look that up for me, unfortunately, there aren't any listed in my immediate area. I'm in Southeast Missouri and there is one listed for Missouri, but their web page no longer works. I also looked in Illinois, Kentucky & Tennessee, but they are either very far away or nonexistent. I like this idea better than any of the others if I can't find a home for him with family or friends. I will keep searching that route.

otn:
Garter Stitch Scarf
Palindrome Hat
Knitted Ornament Covers

fo's:
Bookmark
Basic hat
Lapghan
Golf Club Covers
Knitted Ornament Covers
Mother's Day Slippers
Twisted Stitch Scarf