Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
mrs.hre
1st Leg of the Journey

knitting looms
has anyone used a knitting loom or know anything about them if its easier to knit and make things thanks
mrs.hre is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 AM   #2
hocns
1st Leg of the Journey

I've seen a friend knit a hat on a loom. It looked like the most cumbersome thing I have ever seen. Each round took her forever, and the resulting hat was huge, with big limp stitches. I'll stick with needles any day.
hocns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
tmav113

I started to teach my niece to knit over Thanksgiving, and bought her a small wooden loom at Hobby Lobby. (I think it's 11 pins.) I was so intrigued by it that I bought one for myself and I love it. It makes super fast skinny scarves, and if you do it with a slightly bulky yarn, then the stitches aren't too big or limp looking. My friends love the ones that I've cranked out so far.

I then went and got one of the bigger plastic looms (22 pins - is pins the right term?), thinking I was on to something. The bigger one, I didn't like at all. The pins were smaller and it was harder to use, IMO. I might give it a try again some time, but it won't be anytime soon.

And, in the last chapter of what is turning into a book on my experiences with looms, I started knitting some finger puppets for my nieces, but I'm a pretty lazy person and quickly wanted to figure out the quickest way to do it without DPN's. I found something called the Clover Wonder Knitting Loom at Hobby Lobby. It has two different disks, with 6 pins or 3 pins, and the whole thing spins and it's lots of fun. The 3 pins make i-cord and the 6 pins make a tube-ish thing. With regular yarn it's a little small for finger puppets but with some fur-type yarn, they come out perfect. (I used Yarn Bee Luscious and another mystery ball that I had.)

So, at any rate, that's been my experiences with looms. I know, or have seen, that you can make anything on them you can make on needles, and there are tons of videos about looming on You Tube. But I think you end up sticking with what you learned first, and since I learned on needles, I'll stick with needles.