Old 12-06-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
princess
1st Leg of the Journey

grr....
alright i'm getting really frustrated right now. I have practiced and gotten the knit and purl stitches down pat, but as soon as i try to do a pattern with a combination of things i make a million mistakes and i cant figure out why. First i tried to do a pretty dishcloth the i frogged about ten times before i gave up (i never got more then two inches through it ) and then i tried to do a coaster that i frogged about five times before i gave up. i didn't think i was choosing patterns that were too complicated so i don't understand what my problem is. I want to tackle something with more then just plain knitting. ugh, thanks for letting me vent
princess is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:47 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,644 Times in 7,046 Posts
How long have you been knitting? How much of knit and purl did you actually do? What dishcloth pattern were you trying to do? It helps a lot to keep track of your rows. You may have to go very slowly at first so you don't make a mistake. But if you do just keep at it.

The best advice anyone can give really is to just practice.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Princess, I have to second what Jan wrote. After crocheting for years, it was very hard to switch to knitting. It took a lot of practice, and I'm still making dumb errors. And when you get frustrated, put it down, go away for awhile, then come back to it. You'll get there.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:20 AM   #4
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
Are you trying to do anything else at the same time?
(like watching television or talking to someone)

When I was first knitting knit/purl combination stitches, I had to turn off EVERYTHING, and really concentrate on what I was doing. After a while, I was able to do it easier, and was able to multi-task again.

I still sometimes have to go into "the zone" when I'm doing lace knitting. I'll go into my craft room, close the door, and turn off my cellphone if it's a really complicated pattern.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:21 AM   #5
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Practice makes perfect! Just keep on trying. Try a dishcloth that is only the knit stitch. Here is the one I learned on:

CO 4 stitches. K one row. Next and every row to 26 rows; K2, YO, K to end. Row 27: K1, K2tog, YO, K2tog, K to end. Repeat Row 27 until you have 4 stitches on the needle again. K one row. BO.

This is so easy and you get something useful from it.

Also, I always keep a little pad and pen with me when I am knitting. I write down the rows I have to knit (ie. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.). When I am finished knitting the row, I cross it off the list. This way you will always know where you are. You can pick up your knitting at any time and know exactly what row you should be knitting. TIP: when not in use, keep the pad and pen in a ziplock bag in case the pen bursts, you don't want ink all over your pretty knitting and ziplock bags prevent that from happening. I also keep my knitting project (when I am not working on it) in a large ziplock bag so it is protected from any "accidents".

Good luck and don't give up, YOU WILL GET IT, sometimes it just takes time and practice!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
mare-nitt (12-06-2007)
Old 12-06-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
boo1
Turning the Heel

Princess, I feel your pain!
They say we learn from our mistakes, but sometimes I make mistakes that I cannot even figure out how I did them!

I've only been knitting a couple of months now, and I still make a lot of mistakes. Take your time, start simple, and focus. And, if you have a yarn shop nearby, take your errors to them and they'll usually happily fix them. I've made many trips to mine with my boo-boos.

It IS frustrating. I crocheted for years and that was so much easier, but I just love knitting. Even if I do stink at it, I am getting better. (Very, very, very slowly!)

Hang in there!

boo1
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I think we've all been there - and still go there from time to time regardless of how long we've been knitting. I, too, learned to crochet as a little thing. I struggled with knitting for a long time. But it was something I wanted to do so I stuck with it. I made LOTS of scarves and dishcloths to practice before I got brave enough to go on to other things ... and still have a long way to go! There's always something new and exciting for me to try. I tend to learn something (or do a new technique) with just about every project I do.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
knitncook
Working the Gusset

I remember when I first started knitting my mom had me do 4" swatches of *just* knit or *just* purl. I'm not that mean to my students. I will generally teach them by doing a garter stitch (all knit) scarf. I do this so that they get the rhythm and flow of knitting. Then I teach them how to do a flat rolled brim hat (seamed up the back) using stockinette stitch (knit on the front, purl on the back) Again so they get the flow of the two and learn how to correct mistakes (which comes with learning any new artform). THEN I help them find something a bit more difficult. If you are trying to learn knit and purl by doing somethig a bit complicated or with lots of changes between the two, I would recommend backing off and mastering knit and purl even if all you are doing is making insanely long scarves or swatches using inexpensive yarn.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Princess you sound exactly like me when I first started. I was so frustrated I was ready to give up. But I just kept at it and kept practicing until it finally started coming together for me.

As Jan wisely said, practice.

One big mistake I was making was when switching from a knit to a purl or visa versa I was forgetting to move the yarn from back to front or visa versa. Pay close attention to that.

Just keep practicing.

Read my sig.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #10
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Hang in there...like other have said it takes practice...if you get to frustrated walk away for a bit...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote