Old 12-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
Filet Crochet and other 'cheats'
I saw an example of Filet Crochet on Knit and Crochet Today and wondered.. is there a knitted way to do something like this? It's so beautiful. I wondered if there was a knitted cheat.

Also, is there a knitted cheat for making towel edgings and 'lacework' on premade garments?

I like the look of some crochet embellishments, but love to knit and wondered if there were similiar embellishments in knitting?

Thanks in advance!

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
cgd
1st Leg of the Journey

I don't know if there is a knit equivalent of this, but why not expand your skills and learn to crochet? It's much easier than knitting IMO. It's funny, but at the crochet boards folks ask if there's a way to simulate knitting via crochet!
yarnrainbow (12-09-2007)
Old 12-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

There are knit lace edgings so, yes, you can add them to pre-made items. Either do a row of single crochet on the edge of the pre-made item to provide a way to pick up and knit sts, or do a row of blanket stitch (embroidery) to provide the same.

Or, knit the edging and hand sew it to the item.

As for the filet crochet, I don't think so. But I have a hard time transferring crochet to knit so I may be wrong. I second the idea of learning to crochet. It's a good skill to have.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
marykz
Working the Gusset

the book knitting on the edge or knitting over the edge is full of knit edgings.

but filet crochet is soooo easy to learn- you should try it!

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
redmom37
1st Leg of the Journey

crochet is much faster to do too, & easy to learn!.
redmom37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
I would like to start crocheting, however I don't have any classes in my area for crochet. We're lucky we have anything for knitting!

In addition, I seem to have OCCD [Obsessive Compulsive Craft Disorder]. Each time I learn a new craft, I become obsessed until I am fully immersed in the craft. I started with scrapbooking, which led to paper crafting; which led to card making; which led to general crafting; which led to the use of fiber in my crafts; which led to sewing; which led to quilting; which led to tieing my quilts with yarn (enter yarn obession); which led to knitting; which is now leading me to crocheting. My husband says I need a support group. Which has led me to Friday Night Knitting Club at my LYS.

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitpurlgurl For This Useful Post:
Mirl56 (05-12-2011)
Old 12-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Yes, there is such a thing as filet knitting. I just saw some patterns recently online, can't recall where (search on "filet knitting" if you like), but I will say it doesn't have the crispness of filet crochet. It's more...impressionist, I guess the word would be. Come on over to the dark side and learn to crochet too...it's not THAT hard or I couldn't do it!:D
knitpurlgurl (12-09-2007)
Old 12-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
cookworm
Working the Gusset

I can't help with any information on a knitted version of filet crochet, but in response to your second question, here is a website with lots of knitted lace edgings. I imagine you can knit up as much or as little lace as you wanted and attach it to whatever you'd like.

If you'd like to learn crochet, here is a website that has videos like Amy's knitting videos, but for crochet.

Hope some of that helps!

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cookworm For This Useful Post:
aslangirl (12-11-2007), knitpurlgurl (12-10-2007)
Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
leftymathmajor
Casting On

Idea for filet in knitting
The only thing I can think of is knitting to the stitches where you want the "filet space" then binding off however many stitches you decide. For example Knit two then bind off two etc across the row. When going back you would knit the knits and you would cast on the number of stitches you bound off. So continuing my example you would Knit two then Cast on two. On the next row you would knit all stitches. Then to create the "filet look" you would have to create the spaces in different spots instead of in the same order.
leftymathmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
NOT a disorder...
Hi, Sweetie!

You don't have a "craft disorder"! Face it....you're an artist! Shocking, right?

For many years I've done exactly the same thing you describe - I'd pick up something, like quilting, learn it and practice until I could get 19 stitches to the inch (Masterpiece level), do some projects and then go on to the next artistic endeavor to catch my eye. I'd learn and practice that until I could do it like a professional, and then learn something else.

And all my enthusiasm would be centered in that creative endeavor. And no matter what other less-enthusiastic souls may tell you there's nothing wrong with enthusiasm. It's how most of the world's best things are created - someone has a vision or learns a new skill and his or her passion generates the creation of something wonderful!!!!!

And over the years as I've pursued various art forms professionally I've been very grateful that I had so many learned skills to draw from. Even Christmas and birthday gifts have been much sought after by friends and family and always looked forward to - one year they all got quilts, one year framed pen and ink drawings, one year afghans, etc. etc. etc.

So you go girl! Learn all you can and learn it until you're expert at it. You and those around you will only benefit from it!

Love,

Ruthie