Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
sugcu
Casting On

How to knit sweater neckline? Help!
Hi,
This is my first post. I'm a beginner. I am knitting my first sweater. I have finished the back side, I'm on the front and got to the Neck Shaping section and I am confused.
The pattern says as following;

Shape fr ont neck & shoulders
Next row: K19 (20, 21, 21), attach a second ball of yarn, K14 (14, 16, 18),place these sts on holder for front neck,K rem 19 (20, 21, 21) sts. Working both sides at same time, dec 1 st at neck edge every RS row 3 times. Work even until same length as back to shoulders,then BO rem sts.

Could someone explain all of this?

Also, I have some questions too

What does it mean to Work both sides at the same time?
All the sts, both two sides with two balls, except the sts on holder, are on one neddle. Is that correct?
Is ther anything on the pattern about short-row or not?

I will be truly grateful for any help.

best,
Sugcu
sugcu is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
zkimom
Working the Gusset

What you are going to do is knit with your first ball of yarn across the first 19 (20, 21, 21) stitches. Then you are going to let go of that yarn and take a new ball and join that yarn to knit across the next 14 (14, 16, 18) stitches. Place those stitches on a holder and continue to knit across your row with the second ball of yarn.

When you turn your work, you are using the second ball of yarn until you reach the holder. Then you drop that yarn and knit across the stitches on the other side of the holder with the first ball of yarn.

This way you are working across both sides of the neckline at the same time but with 2 separate balls of yarn.

Everything is on the same needle. No, there are no short rows in the neckline shaping.

Hope this helps.

Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
sugcu
Casting On

Hi Susan,
Thanks so much for your reply. After reading your reply, It makes sense now.But, I have one more question?
What about the "decrease at neck edge" ?
Does it mean, K2 tog / P2 tog at the two sides of the neck edge?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by sugcu View Post
Hi Susan,
Thanks so much for your reply. After reading your reply, It makes sense now.But, I have one more question?
What about the "decrease at neck edge" ?
Does it mean, K2 tog / P2 tog at the two sides of the neck edge?
The decreases are on your RS rows only -- so that means you k2tog at each neck edge 3 times. If you want a slant to your decreases that matches the side of the neck you are on, you can k2tog for a right slanted decrease and ssk for a left slanting decrease.

So, you knit across to the neck edge, the ssk at the neck edge, then at the other neck edge you k2tog and knit to the end of the row. This gives you a left slanting decrease on the left side of the neck edge and a right slanting decrease on the right side of the neck edge.

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
The Following User Says Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
michelle58 (08-18-2009)
Old 12-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
So, you knit across to the neck edge, the ssk at the neck edge, then at the other neck edge you k2tog and knit to the end of the row. This gives you a left slanting decrease on the left side of the neck edge and a right slanting decrease on the right side of the neck edge.
Unless you knit combined that's backwards. You would want to k2tog at the right side of the neck, and ssk at the left side of the neck.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Unless you knit combined that's backwards. You would want to k2tog at the right side of the neck, and ssk at the left side of the neck.

Ooops, sorry -- I always mix up my lefts and my rights! NEVER ask me for directions, you will always get lost!

I once found a pair of cute little shoes on sale -- on the toe of one shoe it said left, on the other it said right. I was so amazed, here was the answer to my problems -- I would put on the shoes and I could always tell my left from my right.

I couldn't wait to show my dh, who on seeing my shoes, laughed at me so hard and pointed out the reason the shoes were on sale -- they were wrong. The right shoe said left and the left shoe said right.

From now on I will leave the left and the right questions to those who know which hand is which!

--Elwood P. Dodd
Old 12-11-2007, 05:28 AM   #7
sugcu
Casting On

Its Okay.
Thank you very much for your replies

Sugcu
Old 06-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
caryonf
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to caryonf
caryonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
SilverOak
Casting On

Similar problem w/sweater pattern
PATTERN: row 1 (RS) k row 2 (WS) p row 3 (RS) p, k
row 4 (WS) p row 5 (RS) k row 6 (WS) p, k

DIRECTIONS: (73 sts. on needle)
D1. Work across 30 sts, sl next 13 sts to hold for front neck, join 2nd ball of yarn and work to end of row.
D2. Working on both sides simultaneously with separate balls of yarn, dec 1 st at each side of neck every row 9 times.
D3. Work even until front measures same as back. BO shoulder sts.

Q for D1: Are the 13 sts. removed to a holder? Or are they part of the decreases? What happens to 13 sts? No other reference in pattern. The collar is made by picking up and knitting 100 sts around neckline.
Q for D1: Are they slipped purl-wise?
Quote:
If they don't specify, slip the stitch purl-wise....Unless you are decreasing: then, slip it knit-wise on the knit rows, and purl-wise on the purl rows. (From Knittinghelp.com)
Q for D2: Confirm please: On purl rows, I do a SSP at the end of the 1st shoulder section THEN p2tog at the beginning of the next shoulder section, right?
Q for D2:What do I do with the p, k rows #3 & #6? row 3 is (RS) and row 6 is (WS).

Last edited by SilverOak : 07-01-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Add a question.
SilverOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The 13 sts are on a holder, don't decrease on them, they're part of the 100 sts picked up for the neckline. Slip them purlwise.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
SilverOak (07-01-2009)