Old 12-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
veronikaj
Ribbing the Cuff

Travelling Knitters
I am leaving on vacation in 2 days to Europe for the holidays and so I will have an extra long plane flight over. I was wondering if anyone has travelled with knitting needles and whether I should expect any problems going through security if I decide to take a knitting project along. Thanks for any suggestions or input. -Ve
veronikaj is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
mwhite
Instepping Out

I have flown with needles but it's a good idea to check the TSA site within 24 hours of your departure and make a copy on the "needle" subject in case the attendants are not up to par. Here's the link:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#1

Happy and safe travels to you!! Mary
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
knittingymnast (04-24-2009), veronikaj (12-11-2007)
Old 12-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
You might want to take resin or plastic needles with you just in case (these won't set off the metal detectors). To my knowledge, no plane has ever been highjacked by a knitting needle toting terrorist before. Have a safe and happy holiday!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I flew in Oct and took my knitting. I did change over to resin needles just so there was no question from TSA. I had no problem.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
KT120
Ribbing the Cuff

From what I have understood you can fly with knitting needles out of the US. Of course there are some TSA agents that may not feel comfortable with them so it's best to have the needles be bamboo, wood or plastic. I've also heard its best to have some work actually on the needles. I flew with Addi's and had no problem, but then again this was a domestic flight.

I have also heard that returning to the US from Europe knitting needles are not permitted on board. This though, you would have to look into more. Either way have a great flight!

On Deck: Beer Cozy, Ugg baby booties, Transformer wash cloth

FO: Obligatory first scarf, socks, knitted hat,Felted clutch from One Skein, Lily Bag,Irish hiking scarf, Felted Bowl from One Skein
KT120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
kbagel
1st Leg of the Journey

I have flown with metal knitting needles and had no problem. These were only for domestic flights though. I have also had needles without a project on them and had no problem but once again, domestic only.

Have a good vacation!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I had a friend who was flying back from Egypt via Britain and had her needles taken. Maybe it's more of an issue when coming to the US or Britain?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
jennylozano
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to jennylozano
Originally Posted by Plantgoddess+ View Post
I flew in Oct and took my knitting. I did change over to resin needles just so there was no question from TSA. I had no problem.
Yeap, same here. I went to Puerto Rico last week and took my bambo and resin needles with me along with a vest I am knitting. No problems, no questions and no issues at all. Nothing happened to fly there nor to fly back here. Good luck!

FO: country jacket (Lion Brand pattern)
OTN: basic vest (Patons booklet pattern) with Vanna's choice yarn
FO: Raleigh Hills Cabled Hat
WIP: 2nd sock syndrome: I will NEVER again knit one sock first and then the other... from now on I'll only be using the 2 circulars to knit both at the same time
Tonsilectomy: 28 Dec. 2007
jennylozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

I have flown Internationally many times. What I do is... have knitting already started on bamboo circs.. and I just don't say a WORD about the knitting as I go through the security check point. They know that I have knitting w/ me.. no need for me to point it out to them to draw attention to myself or my knitting. I'm not hiding anything- I already know that I can carry my knitting w/ me.

I've had no problems. I usually just keep my knitting in a big zip log bag/etc. NO scissors.. I just put a 'dental floss' container in there.. you can gnaw the yarn across the blade to cut it .. if you need to do so.

Some countries.. might not want you to be knitting from their country to the STATES.. *You can find that out on the sites or ask 'after you arrive' to your foreign country. IF they say 'no'.. then, simply put them in your checked bag for your return flight.

If it helps any: I have flown both to/from Korea to the states w/ no problem.

I've also flown to/from Italy (as late as less than 3 years ago) to the states w/ no problems. These are the countries in the past 3 years- I've flown to many more countries than that.. but, rules have changed a lot lately.
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iwouldratherbeknitting For This Useful Post:
Dreaming Knitter (12-13-2007)
Old 12-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #10
grumbles
Casting On

This article is a bit old, but it may still provide some useful tips and information.

http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter03/FEATwin03TK.html
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grumbles For This Useful Post:
Dreaming Knitter (12-13-2007)