Old 12-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
gal51
Ribbing the Cuff

How do you remember what you're doing when knitting rib?
Did that title make sense? I am a beginner and am working on my first project with ribbing. It's a very simple, but long, scarf with K3P3 ribbing so it's a lot of switches back and forth. I've found the only way I can remember if I started a row with K or P is to keep a pad beside me and write down K or P before I knit each row. If I get distracted I forget what I'm doing and I still cannot tell just by looking if a stitch is a K or P ....

I'm getting tired of writing K and P constantly .... any help would be appreciated!

TIA!
gal51 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
zkimom
Working the Gusset

In a rib you are always knitting the knit stitches and purling the purl stitches.

So you need to be able to recognize what a knit stitch and a purl stitch looks like as you get ready to work it.

The knit stitches look like Vs and the purls look more like bumps. Here's a good page with pictures of how the stitches look including what a rib looks like.

Once you get used to just looking at your work and being able to recognize what comes next you won't have to write anything down.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
of troy
Turning the Heel

practice! much of knitting is practice.

some of us take to it like ducks to water, and learn quickly, others, (like me) are slow learners

I know more than most about knitting (but then i've hand 45 years of practice!)

at first some things are so very hard, you wonder if you'll ever be able to do them.. then one day.. you'll find yourself zipping along..

so just practice.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Another way to remember is if you end a row with a purl st, you start it with a knit; end with a knit, start with a purl. But yep, it's easiest to learn what each stitch looks like.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Blissknits
Ribbing the Cuff

It will get easier as you go along! After several rows, you either be in the "dip" or the "ridge" of the ribbing, which will help cue your eye to what you should be doing.

Also, (as a beginner myself) my first scarf is long and ribbed. Somewhere around row 20 or 30, one of those ribs got an extra knit stitch, and a pearl stitch got dropped. I knit the rest of the scarf like that, and its a long one.

No one but me ever notices.
Blissknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Easy way: When you're starting a row, notice whether you're knitting or purling. Now pin a safety pin into the front of that side where you'll be sure to see it. Work across and notice whether you knit or purl the last stitches. Write that down, if you need to, and stick it on the safety pin. Now the other side should be just exactly backwards.In time, you won't need to do that, but for now, it'll help.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,643 Times in 7,045 Posts
Learn what the stitches look like and it'll help you the rest of your knitting career. It's easier than placing pins or watching for dips in the knitting

Each stitch has two sides, one side is a knit the other side is a purl. With ribbing you knit the knits and purl the purls so if you know what the stitches look like it's simple. You may have to pull the stitch down a bit by the needle to be sure sometimes, but it becomes quite obvious after a few rows.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	knitpurlsample.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	45704  

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:31 AM   #8
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
Back when I was first learning to knit, I would use two different colored needles for patterns like that. I would have a pink needle and a blue needle. When I switched to the pink needle, I knew the row would start with a purl stitch. (Pink = Purl)

Just a quick cheat.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:13 AM   #9
RockRock
Casting On

I love reading about everyone's little tips, I don't have any "live" friends that knit, and it's so nice to realize that everyone knits so differently! I tried teaching my sister to knit and of course wanted her to do it just like me, and it just was not working for her. She's slowly figuring it out now on her own.

For me, I've learned to recognize the difference between what a purl and a knit stitch look like, but it didn't come naturally. It just clicked one day, and from then on, I couldn't believe how easy it was and how much trouble it had given me before.

Just keep practicing!
RockRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #10
gal51
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks everyone ... OK, so I have been paying attention every time I start a new row and really looking at the stitches. I have still been keeping my silly little log, just in case, but each time I start a new row I am looking and deciding whether it's time to knit or purl and each time I have been right -- so thanks for the tips!

Pursuing More Than Purls (My Blog)

I like making a piece of string into something I can wear. ~Author Unknown

Happy Wife to Brandon, Mama to Lydia (7) and Grace (2) -- my inspiration

I'm PursuingPurls on Ravelry
gal51 is offline   Reply With Quote