Old 12-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
strawberry
Ribbing the Cuff

strawberry hats size
I need to knit a strawberry hat for a 5 year old but the pattern only shows it to be from 6mos to 2years. If I cast on 88 sts it will be too small (calls for 6 or 7 needles and if I try 96sts it will be toooo big. Soooo I thought if I would try maybe a smaller size needle just might work any ideas on this??
Thank you
I knitted a babies hat from Cottage Industry, the pattern is sweetpea baby set, but I need to knit something called 'monk's cord' which attaches/sewn to the corners of the hat. My question is What is Monk's Cord/how is this knitted?
strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,773 Times in 7,140 Posts
It must be smaller because of the stranding because ordinarily I'd say 88 is plenty large for a 5yr old. The difference between 88 and 96 is minimal so I don't see how that would make it too large. It's only 8 stitches. You can use smaller needles, but don't go too small. It can make the fabric rather stiff. One size down shouldn't be a problem though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
strawberry
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
It must be smaller because of the stranding because ordinarily I'd say 88 is plenty large for a 5yr old. The difference between 88 and 96 is minimal so I don't see how that would make it too large. It's only 8 stitches. You can use smaller needles, but don't go too small. It can make the fabric rather stiff. One size down shouldn't be a problem though.
Thank you I'll try using a size 7 needle.
I knitted a babies hat from Cottage Industry, the pattern is sweetpea baby set, but I need to knit something called 'monk's cord' which attaches/sewn to the corners of the hat. My question is What is Monk's Cord/how is this knitted?
strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote