Old 12-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
jeanius80
Instepping Out

help...please?
another knitter wanting to learn. . .

My issue is hooking the yarn and pulling through. i think i hold it too loose in my left hand, and then i end up having to use the nail on my pointer left finger to pull the loops over the YO. any tips on how to trust the hook to pull the yarn through? should i go up a size (i was using peaches n cream and a 5.5 mm wood hook) I really want to crochet a babett inspired afghan (a granny square afghan with 3 different size squares.) THANKS
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

You might try twisting the hook slightly as you complete the draw-through, if you're not already doing that. You might be too loose, might be too tight; it's hard to say without looking at the work, but either can make you think you have to boost the yarn into place. I twist mine toward me as it comes through so the open face of the hook isn't in contact with the loop, but see what you're comfortable with. The other suggestion I'd have would be to try an in-line hook, if you haven't already. Some people don't like them, but I do. Your wood hook might already be that type..
Mostly, it's a matter of practice and getting used to the feel of crochet.
jeanius80 (12-12-2007)
Old 12-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
jeanius80
Instepping Out

i decided to just crochet single and double to get the hang of it instead of trying to jump in and do granny squares! MUCH better I just read a tutorial on granny squares, and now i get it ! I think i'll make a baby afghan first before i start one for me and dh
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote