Old 12-13-2007, 01:59 AM   #1
Susan Norgren
Casting On

Location: I live and travel full time in our bus conversion. When we are not traveling Sedona is home.
I want to learn to knit!
Hi I am Susan Norgren and I want to learn to knit. I am also a lefty. Can I do this? Or, are there instructions with pictures like for kids learning to knit? My friend tried to teach me with little success, she is right handed. Any ideas please?
Thanks
Susan Norgren author
Lost Pallies
Susan Norgren is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-13-2007, 02:03 AM   #2
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
There are "how to" videos up above. Also if you have a LYS (local yarn shop) go and ask for help. They are usually more than willing to teach anyone to knit. We have several lefties here in KH. Welcome to the group and good luck!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:15 AM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I have taught several lefties to knit. I just taught them to knit right handed. Recently I worked with a teen-ager who said she had tried to learn to knit 2 other times and couldn't do it. I showed her how to do the knit stitch with what is called the Continental method. (There is a video on how to do it on this site.) She didn't have any trouble picking up that much, and I haven't had another session with her yet. :-) But I'm expecting her to be successful.

Most lefties are good enough with either hand to pick up knitting right handed. Give it a try before you decide you can't do it that way. I think it will simpify things overall if you can learn right handed. Good luck!
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:27 AM   #4
Susan Norgren
Casting On

Location: I live and travel full time in our bus conversion. When we are not traveling Sedona is home.
Thanks! I am going to go for it righty style! I heard that even the pattern changes for someone who is left handed as well. I have needles that have the plastic cord on them in a size 10 US. Should I get the other kind? I am gonna do this! I need a new challenge and this sounds fun.
Thanks for the reply.
Susan
www.susanpsychicmedium.com
Old 12-13-2007, 02:31 AM   #5
Susan Norgren
Casting On

Thanks so much! I am off to watch the video's. I am so glad you have them available because I learn better when I can see and do. Is there a way to download them to the computer so that I can practice when I do not have internet connection? (wireless internet)

Blessings
Susan
Old 12-13-2007, 02:43 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Yes, most lefties do knit right handed although I know of one who knits completely left handed. If you need more help after the videos or need to print something out to have next to you (I did) then you can check these sites out as well.

Casting on will be the first thing to learn. If you have trouble with terms used in knitting there is a glossary at the tab above as well as both these links.

http://www.knitpicks.com/Content/index.php
http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/

Welcome to KH!!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:37 AM   #7
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Sounds like your 10 needle is a circular. That will work fine to start on. Just treat each end of the circular needle as one staight needle. We use circular needles to make tubes of knitting but many of us prefer them for regular flat knitting as well. You will want to use yarn that is at least standard worsted weight yarn with that needle. Even a bulky or chunky yarn would probably work. Make sure you start with a smooth acrylic or wool type yarn, nothing frilly or fuzzy. And a medium to light color is best; dark is hard to see the stitches on.

I have downloaded one of the videos to my desktop so that I was able to view it at my leisure. I'm not sure how I did it, I'm not much of a computer expert.

Have fun!!
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MerigoldinWA For This Useful Post:
Susan Norgren (12-13-2007)
Old 12-13-2007, 03:53 AM   #8
Susan Norgren
Casting On

Whoo whoo I am doing it I think!
I casted on using my circular size 10 needles. I used my right hand to cast on and help the yarn in my left. It wasn't even hard except for when the yarn fell off my fingers and I lost those casting on stitches.!
I am going to be a casting on er for a bit. Then a knitter! lol
Old 12-13-2007, 03:58 AM   #9
Susan Norgren
Casting On

I casted on all the way to the end of my yarn. Thank you for replying. I really really appreciate it!
Hmmmm, wonder if my husband wants to learn with me. That would be cool!
Old 12-13-2007, 04:01 AM   #10
Susan Norgren
Casting On

Jan, thank you for the links I have them saved. A few nights ago I looked and looked site like this and no luck then in one lucky swoop I found you all!

thank you
Susan