Old 12-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
jomac30
Ribbing the Cuff

Looking for easiest rolled brim hat
HI EVERYONE.
I'm looking to make a rolled brim hat in both adult and child sizes but I'm not sure what is the easiest way to do this. Is it easier to make on circulars so there is no seam? I hate doing seams. they never look flat. Also I'd like to use worsted weight and was wondering if the rolled brim part would look good if I knitted that part only with worsted and fun fur together. Any ideas? Thanks
jomac30 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-14-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I found this pattern where you enter in your own gauge and it helps you make what you need for any size...Worsted would work too ...I would think in the round would be easier...but I don't like to seam

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:22 AM   #3
Miley384
1st Leg of the Journey

Here ya go. I am almost done with my hat.
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevsbasichat.html
Old 12-15-2007, 03:46 AM   #4
PeattieWa
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to PeattieWa
Here's an easy pattern for a rolled brim hat that I use all the time.
Use a multiple of 9 stitches on #8 circular needles. 54 for a childs hat and 63/72 for an adults. It is straight knit until you reach 6-7 inches and then you start to decrease. Knit 7 and then 2 together. knit the next row. Continue decreasing with one less stitch between until you have only 8-10 stitches on the needles. draw the yarn through and secure. This enables you to have a nice hat with no seam to sew. I've made lot's of these in a variety of sizes. If you want the hat to be longer just knit to 8or 9 inches before starting the decrease. Happy knitting! Becky
PeattieWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
hocns
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by PeattieWa View Post
Here's an easy pattern for a rolled brim hat that I use all the time.
Use a multiple of 9 stitches on #8 circular needles. 54 for a childs hat and 63/72 for an adults. It is straight knit until you reach 6-7 inches and then you start to decrease. Knit 7 and then 2 together. knit the next row. Continue decreasing with one less stitch between until you have only 8-10 stitches on the needles. draw the yarn through and secure. This enables you to have a nice hat with no seam to sew. I've made lot's of these in a variety of sizes. If you want the hat to be longer just knit to 8or 9 inches before starting the decrease. Happy knitting! Becky
That's similar to what I use, except I use a multiple of 10. I usually co 100 st for an adult hat (I think I knit about 19 st/4 "). I also do the decrease in the same way.

I find if you knit longer before the decrease, you get a better looking hat. For an adult hat, I usually knit about 9" before the decrease.

I personally wouldn't use fun fur; I hate the stuff. Keep in mind if you strand it with your other yarn for the brim, you will be altering your gauge, and fun fur by itself won't hold the roll.

I never use circulars for hats, I find that they feel toooooooo short; I do however use dpn because seams on hats look bad, and on a rolled brim, especially bad.
hocns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Snowbaby
Ribbing the Cuff

Here's the one I did, it's a child size, but I'm sure it could be ada[ted for adults?

There's a picture of the FO in the watcha knitting section.
Snowbaby is offline   Reply With Quote