Old 12-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,955 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
V-neck edge-how do I make the V smooth?
Okay, so I took apart this sweater b/c it was too short from the bust up. I've got it lengthened and put back together, but I need help with the V-neck trim. All the other sweaters of this pattern on Ravelry look like mine did the first time. Crappy at the V and somewhat too tight at the neck.

Here are the instructions:
Sew right shoulder seam. (Oops. I already did BOTH shoulder seams with 3 needleBO.)

Beginning at left front shoulder, with smaller circular needle, black yarn, and RS facing, pick up and knit 3 sts for every 4 rows along the front neckline, 1 held st from safety pin, 3 sts for every 4 rows along other side of front neckline, and 1 st for every cast off st along back neckline. Do not join. K 1 row. Next row: K to 1 st before center front, sl 1, k2tog, psso, k to end. K 1 row. Cast off all sts.

So here's what I'm thinking: The whole top is knit on size 6, and the pattern says to use size 4 for the neck. That's fine, since it will match the bottom and cuffs, but then to ALSO knit 3 sts for every 4 rows, I'm thinking is making it too tight, right? Instead, knit pick up one stitch for each stitch? Would that work?

Next, Since I already closed both shoulders, what do I do?

And what about the V? There's one stitch on a holder, but that's the spot where it looked really crappy the first time (or two)

Any suggestions?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-15-2007, 12:23 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
I think I'd stick with the 3 out of 4 stitches, since the length of the stitches is larger than the width. If you pick up one-to-one along the V edges, it will likely be too floppy. Maybe pick up the stitches with a size 5 needle?

The V can be tricky to get it to look nice. Maybe instead of the sl1, k2tog, psso, you can try a centered decrease where you sl 1, k1 (the center stitch). The you pass the slipped stitch over. Transfer the stitch to the left tip and pass the first stitch there over the center stitch as well. That might look a little neater and tighter.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
G J (12-15-2007), schoen1605 (12-15-2007)
Old 12-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
G J
Instepping Out

Thanks, Ingrid. It's the picked up stitches on the sweater that look bad on my first tries and the ones posted on ravelry. It pulls all funky at the V. Will this method help with that?

Last edited by G J : 12-15-2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Clarify that the funky pulling is at the bottom of the V
G J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I took a closer look at the sweaters on ravelry. I wonder if picking up a stitch further in would be better. Or maybe work ribbing rather than the purls?

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 12-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
G J
Instepping Out

Do you mean pick up stitches further in on the whole neck or just at the bottom of the V?

I'm not sure what you mean by ribbing instead of purls. The neck edge is supposed to be garter stitch to match the cuffs and bottom edge.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Oh--I couldn't tell if it was garter or reverse stockinette, and I didn't even look at the other edgings. There's no law about changing, though.

I noticed that on the ravelry sweaters that the picking up all around the neck was noticeable--on the lighter colors, anyway. Picking up one row further in might make it neater, including at the V. Doing a different decreasing at the V should help, too.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 AM   #7
G J
Instepping Out

I just frogged the whole neck again.

I didn't wait for your reply and didn't pick up stitches in a row further. Oh well. Good practice? You want me to pick up on the other side of those decrease stitches along the neck, right? I think you're right. That will make the bottom of the V more similar, except what do I do with the stitch on the holder? It will be a row up then....

I did the first row wrong anyway. I purled it, since it's now in the round and I want to keep the pattern theme of garter stitch trim, but I tried to do the decreases on that row instead of the next, per the instructions. I'll learn!

Let me clarify the decrease instructions to make sure I get it:
Sl 1 (purlwise?), k1 (the center stitch). Then pass the slipped stitch over. Transfer the stitch to the left tip. Pass the first stitch there over the center stitch as well. I don't knit that stich then, right? Just pass it over?

Thank you SO MUCH for your help with this sweater!

Last edited by G J : 12-16-2007 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Left out question about stitch on holder.
G J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Yes, you've got it right. I hope it works out for you!

IngridKH on Ravelry
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
G J (12-16-2007)
Old 12-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
G J
Instepping Out

Whoohooo! I finished it! I picked up the neck stitches 1/2 stitch in, and while it took a couple of tries, I got the V looking GREAT! Thanks SO MUCH for your help! It's drying now from blocking, but I'll put up pics in the next day or two.

Thanks again for all your help! I couldn't have done it this well without you!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:06 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

IngridKH on Ravelry