Old 12-15-2007, 02:12 AM   #1
secretstars
Casting On

double stranding question
hi --

this isn't really a how-to as much as 'i'm not ****ing up, right?' post.

i am knitting a shrug in ribbing with one yarn that is intended for size 5 needles (22 x 28 gauge) with a yarn intended for size 8 needles (18 x 24 gauge) on size 9 needles. probably not the best idea i had all year but there you have it, lol.

my stitches look uneven. i've never had this problem before. is it because i'm knitting with two significantly different sized yarns at the same time?

thanks for your answers in advance!

-- Lorelei
secretstars is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-15-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

No, don't think it's because of the different weights. I'm using lace and worsted weights here and the sts are even.

Try a swatch with a smaller size needle and see if that produces the fabric you like.

Using two strands should just make a heavier yarn...are you pulling them from the ball evenly, so that neither one is more stressed or tighter than the other?

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
secretstars
Casting On

after i made this post, i tried to doing k1p1 ribbing with some yarn i use all the time, and the stitches came out strangely there, too. it seems i'm just really bad at k1p1 ribbing. i mean i don't think it looks that bad but i was wondering why it was happening that way. :O the pattern will soon call for a different type of rib anyway, so it should all be good once i'm done with this bit.

thanks for clearing up that it isn't the double stranding? although i'm not sure if i'm holding them with different tensions, i don't think i have been... i'll play around with that, too!
secretstars is offline   Reply With Quote